Official 4th of July swap. Sign up ends June 21st

Dangit, I forgot to bring my box with me to work tonight. :grumpy: I will be opening it when I get home from work. I'm on a 5 hour layover right now, so it woulda been fun to bring with.

I knew someone would crack!!! Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I opened my Xmas swap package like five days early.

Well, the wife said we were NOT leaving until I opened my box....She's already sick of you guys! LMAO!! So the kids opened it up for me......

WOW!!

Thank you J1M and Sally T for taking the time!!

View attachment 287089
View attachment 287090

We have Fire starting--water purification--snare making material-first aide kit- 4 kinds of rope-a new Case stockman--EESE AH1- The list is a mile and 1/2 long!!!!!- The best thing is the Sally T fire steel! It has a hollow handle to store emergancy supplies. Just awesome!! It is PERFECT--Right size and right color!!
Yea,I wasn't first.(this time)
I had no excuse,just low will power.

Very generous collection of survival gear there Bill.
I'm liking the Sally T's hollow handled fire steel,great idea ma'am.

Last edited:
Opened mine up! WOW what a bunch of great stuff. Homemade soap, lip balm. JK tin knife, floss (I did not know it could saw PVC) thanks for the info. Eating tool, condor bush crafter, Gerber artifact, disposable razor, ear plugs, led tent light (this little thing is so freaking cool I'd like to pick up more. Can the batteries be changed?). A bell and whistle! You really did put all the bells and whistles in here :p I can't thank you enough 1066vik Erik.

Had to add the American Flag and the Freedom sebbie, thought it was appropriate.

3eb3c669.jpg

This homemade soap smells freaking amazing enough to eat!
c689cf6f.jpg

This little JK tin knife has me all to excited to put together a little altoids tin kit!
5753b816.jpg

little Gerber Artifact prybar with a blade and can opener what more could you need?
599bcd08.jpg

Condor baby bushcrafter with a convexed edge. Now I do not have an excues to not try bush crafting:thumbup:
0f9221c9.jpg

47082d07.jpg

1f57c127.jpg

I'd also like give a big thank you to KFU for putting this together. It really was fun rounding all the items up shipping them off, getting our own box in the mail and then sitting and reading this thread everyday.

Last edited:
Congrats egp,some cool stuff there.

I got up this morn & even before making a head call & having a cup of joe I had to open my box from Gnarly.

Not a pony,but almost as good.

jr4gvd.jpg

:eek:I don't know how you knew I wanted one,but a suppressed MKII has been on my want list for a long time,thanks G-man,I'll cherish it for ever & ever.;)

OK relax guys,he did not send me a suppressed MKII. dang it!:rolleyes:

But he did send some cool stuff......:cool:
166174db.jpg

Let's see,we have a SolarForce flash light with a defender type bezel,very cool & will come in handy
this weekend camping for sure.(this thing is bright too!)
Spare batts & a match safe.(love the orange)
A pouch to carry the light in,a little scalpel thats going into a tin kit:thumbup: & a set of 400 & 600 grit diamond sharpeners with some little tinny super strong magnets on the back to keep them together.(very nice!)

Thanks David I dig it all :thumbup:,even if it wasn't a suppressed MKII.;)

And a big thank you to Chris for starting this great tradition.

Only 6 months to go for the Christmas swap,can't wait!

Now to pack for 3 days in the mountains,have a good 4th all.......

So I was out in the Garage last night piddling around and taking the occasional glance toward the Priority box laying on the end of my workbench. It was getting late and I was about to call it quits for the evening when I noticed it was a little after 11:30. "Hey" Self said to me "if we wait a little longer, it will be officially July 4th and we can open that package". "Good idea!" I said to Self. So I drilled some more stitching holes in a sheath I'd been working on and then started stitching on another. Finally at a few minutes after midnight I grabbed a knife and opened that darned USPS box! The wait was sooo worth it! Here's what was inside....

July4thExchangeKFU.jpg

My first Spyderco!!!! It's an H1 with Salt (I believe that's what color they call it, us Okies would just call it 'yeller' ;)) I had always wanted to buy one, but I would get weak and buy something else. Man, this thing is so freakin sharp! I love it Todd! He also sent me a great little Solitaire maglite and a Buck 382 pocketknife! TPVT you ROCK!

Can't wait until Christmas!! I've already started planning for that one!

glad you liked it Mudbug. i was seeing all this cool stuff posted, and i have to tell ya....i started wishing i put more in your box!

btw...the "salt" designation is because spyderco says the H1 steel will never rust; so they are designed for saltwater use. just an fyi. uhhh...perfect for Oklahoma! i should pay attention. :eek:

I just got home and opened mono's box and WOW! i'll get some pics up soon, hopefully.

EGP - glad you like your haul.
I added the smelly bits in case you have a significant other - so they don't feel left out and will let you play more on the forums. ;)
the lip balm will melt if left in the car -- which means if it melted on the way, you can set it upright on your dash and remelt it.
on the light, I'm pretty sure the only way to change the batteries would include breaking the light -- but they come in a 4-pack and don't cost much.

Oh, yeah - thanks to everyone for reminding me it's safe to open my box now!

OK relax guys,he did not send me a suppressed MKII. dang it!:rolleyes:

But he did send some cool stuff......:cool:
166174db.jpg

Let's see,we have a SolarForce flash light with a defender type bezel,very cool & will come in handy
this weekend camping for sure.(this thing is bright too!)
Spare batts & a match safe.(love the orange)
A pouch to carry the light in,a little scalpel thats going into a tin kit:thumbup: & a set of 400 & 600 grit diamond sharpeners with some little tinny super strong magnets on the back to keep them together.(very nice!)

Thanks David I dig it all :thumbup:,even if it wasn't a suppressed MKII.;)

And a big thank you to Chris for starting this great tradition.

Only 6 months to go for the Christmas swap,can't wait!

Now to pack for 3 days in the mountains,have a good 4th all.......

Gladja liked the stuff, mykel m!
Re: the Solarforce:
Didn't know if you were into rechargeable batteries, but if so: on the 123A's I sentcha, it'll put out 475-525 lumens...
If you think it's bright NOW....
If you have any RCR123A's, you can raise that figure to 700 lumens.

So last night I put the box out so I could take it with me to work. When I woke up it was nowhere to be found. My wife hid it on me. When I talked to her later she said “Ain’t no way you’re taking that with you,
You’ll open it up at home AFTER your work is done.” I guess I can hold out another 5 hours. Well it was totally worth the wait…and then some.

When I finally opened it I was surprised to see the top half of the box filled with newspapers. After throwing that aside my eyes lit up. There was a ton of stuff packed in there. First thing I pulled out was a black/orange handled Mora with an orange sheath. It is sharp. There was a karabiner with hanks of paracord and jute attached. There was a silicone cloth, Nikon Lenspen, a Cyclops LED hat light and a bag with 2 nice pieces of fatwood.

Next thing I pulled out was a full Altoids tin with a nice fire steel & striker, mini-Bic, P38, 2-PJCB straws, compass, single edge razor blade, jute pieces, bandaids, crazy glue, and a couple safety pins. Very nice. An Eclipse tin held 3-cord keepers, a small karabiner and a very cool Leatherman Style. A small earplug case holds a very compact yet crammed full of fishing gear. Line, sinkers, hooks and wiggly tails.

Last but certainly not least is a Case 3318CV Stockman with yellow delrin handles and a nice patina on the main blade. I really like this knife and it’s going in my pocket right now.

July4Swap.JPG

Wow!!!!! Thank You AC700Wildcat! This was certainly an awesome thing. I guarantee I will have a REALLY, REALLY rough time waiting when it comes time for the Christmas Swap after this.

Glad you got the box today ViK. Did you open it yet? How 'bout now? Come on cut it open. Let the dog tear it a little so stuff can fall out. Shoulda put some dog treats in there. Double dog dare ya. Nobody will know. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

just following orders....
attachment.php

:D

and the after pic:
attachment.php

icepick/awl, keyring, & firesteel with antler handles. (blue stripe on firesteel handle should make it easier to find when (not if) I drop it.
compass, stickers, handmade "cigar" pen (my wife used to do wood turning, and that was my favorite style!) with ash burl wood.
a forged 52100 small utility knife (I love that steel!) with Ipe handles and what looks like a "thorn" rune stamped in the blade. (makers mark?)
last, but definitely not least...............
Larvets! (yes folks -- he sent me a box of fried worms -- aren't you all jealous now?)
best of all, other than the worms, stickers, and compass, all of this was made by Arcadia knives!

Thanks a lot!

it appears that i got the right secret santa! i mean...wow. monofletch went well above and beyond. like i said, after seeing the haul i got....and others on here as well....i hope mudbug doesn't feel slighted! :eek:

so, i open my box and i see some mesh/material. hmmm...what could it be? backback? fishing vest? turns out it was a really nice looking Black Ridge hip/waist pack. mono added a nice note to the contents to say make sure i check all pockets. and check i did! here is what i got:
- hip pack
- old knife. dagger style hilt. nice hunter/bowie style blade. the stacked leather handle is just awesome. mono said he wasn't sure how old it was, but he had it for 35 years. i am honored sir. no markings.
- RAT Model 1 folding knife. one-handed opening, liner lock style. very cool. as i have already told mono, i am looking forward to playing with this knife. it is a large folder. seems rugged.
- Mora 511 (utility). i always wanted to get one of these. this will get thrown in my tackle box, or a kitchen drawer, for that matter. sweet!
- biohazard sticker...going right on my fridge. not because of contents (right?), but i have a healthy sticker collection on my fridge.
- "The Punch" - nice looking hole punch
- Streamlight Nano Light. funny. i really wanted to get one of these to put on my fishing vest....and just never got around to it. thanks mono! already clipped to my vest.

pics of the loot!
7502549286_e41cdb33bb_c.jpg

7502548722_da9af4d90e_c.jpg

how cool is this stacked leather handle?!?
7502549786_e2aa0fdca7_c.jpg

RAT Model1. never held a folder this big. as i said...looking forward to checking it out.
7502548116_1cf075446a_c.jpg

i have to say a BIG thanks to monofletch. what great gifts. and, i like how you packed everything up. it was a fun way to open it. and thanks for the nice note.

i feel pretty lucky to be part of such a great group of folks. thanks again to chris for making this possible. i already have some ideas for the christmas swap.

I didn't want to disappoint on my first swap! I am glad you are happy with your "stuff".

Thank you KFU for bringing all of us together for the swap!

J1M--My kids found that little orange whistle...now I'm deaf!!! Damn that thing is LOUD!!

Last edited:
you're going to love that RAT-1 folder -- plenty sturdy, take a killer edge with decent edge retention, and doesn't weigh a ton.
It's right up there with the Skyline for me as favorite low end linerlocks.

I was good and waited until the 4th and we had power. Got a nice big box from Chris at KFU. My wife stopped making fun of the whole swap concept when it came time to open the box. She and I were not disappointed!

attachment.php

An REI Whitney backpack.
A nice SAK
The nicest strop I have ever seen, dual sided, 1 micron and 3 micron.
A nifty Benchmade tool that I've never seen but am VERY excited about.
A waterproof tube for survival goods.
And a Backwoods knife and sheath, the design of which I've never seen. Anyone know what the function it? It's a nice blade with a mosaic pin and sharp as can be, I like the fold over snap sheath, too.

I can't wait for the Christmas swap now. Gnarley, I may have shorted you even WITH the second box because I can see people are taking this $50 as a loose very bottom end suggestion. Hopefully there will be a few items in there that you want.

Anyhow, I am very excited. Of course, I told my wife 'well, Chris makes knives and I have always wanted one of his knives so I hope one is in there" and when it wasn't, I got permission to buy one! Win win win!

Time to pick out a KFU blade...

Thanks again Chris!

Hal

that's a cool looking knife -- reminds me of a "hacking knife" or a Razel.

you're going to love that RAT-1 folder -- plenty sturdy, take a killer edge with decent edge retention, and doesn't weigh a ton.
It's right up there with the Skyline for me as favorite low end linerlocks.

good info vik. thanks. i am already thinking about taking it apart and stripping the powder coating off. we shall see. good times.

Great stuff guys! Halm, that is The Snatchet! Bill made that knife as a small knife that could be used for chopping without taking up that much room. I had a sheath made for it so you could lash it to a pack and with the snap it wouldn't come out. Ive used that knife alot. The strop is from a fellow forum member Dan(Capid1). I got to know Dan after he bought some wood from me. He is an awesome guy and makes a great strop. I was so happy with the one he made for me that I thought one for the swap would be a good gift. The SAK is an alox Soldier. I carried that knife for a year until Mykel gifted me the green alox in the Chistmas swap. Thanks for the pics and let me know when you want a knife!!!!!

So here is my box from KyTurkey. Ill preface this by saying I love these swaps. I find enjoyment in the little things and this box was special.
P1012249.jpg

Two big blocks of osage from his farm
Four cool DVDs, hunting related along with a guide on animals
Four led flashlights
Pair of scissors and a pack of screwdrivers
Schrade slip joint

My youngest and wife helped me open it up. Before I could get everything out the wife stole the scissors and the little one had pocketed two flashlights and his hands were full of DVDS, carrying them to the TV. He looooooooves flashlights! All the kids sat on the couch reading about different animals from little pocket guide discussing which one was the meanest and why. I snatched the knife and wood! I love slip joints and this Schrade is cool. I have one kind of like it but one of the blades is snapped off so this one will replace it. My favorite part was the wood. I love osage and these two blocks are awesome and heavy. They are really yellow with cool grain. Im going to stash one block into my secret knifemakers stash of wood and the other will be cut up for scales. Anyone want a knife with Osage from a forum members farm????How cool would that be????
Thanks Derek and everyone else that took part in the swap. I really enjoy taking part in them

Back