"Official BF" Company Timeline?? help!

Okay! I can see where Imperial Schrade, Ellinville, NY closed their doors in 2004. So how come I'm about to receive a brandee new Schrade from an Amazon.com vendor?

..and then, of course, two weeks I ago I bought two Rough Riders (ex China) bearing Schrade model numbers.

I'm expecting that Schrade's history may be complex; what with their "involvement" in Barlow, Old Timer, etc, etc.

I'm hoping that someone can point me to a date by date, brand by brand, rundown on the past and present of this company.

Jim, Taylor Brands bought out the rights to the Schrade trademarks and properties in 2004, and is having the vast majority of his knives made in China (All of the Old Timers, Uncle Henry's, etc). You're likely about to receive one of those. Also, the new Imperial knives and Hammer Brand knives also fall under that category. Rough Rider, to my knowledge, never had any involvement in Schrade knives pre-2004. Nowadays, anything's possible.

Eric

Recently a few new pattern knives outsourced by TBLLC have come from Taiwan. One of them, SCHF9, was designed by a forum member, Mistwalker, and shows promise of being a decent knife. It is 1070HC with Kraton scales.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723994&highlight=Schrade

And like almost all of TBLLC knives, it is cheap. It still isn't a Schrade, but it looks like it would perform well for it's intended purpose, a bushcrafter knife.

G'day Codger, ...... (( I'm not even going to sort through this. You get one break: your racist opinions are your own problem. Do not expose them on Bladeforums. )) .......Hoo Roo

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to echo Larry303. And I will mention enough of the original thread to not get whacked by the mod.

If you want a trusty, hard use, affordable US made blade, look at KA-BAR's Becker line, especially the BK-2 or the BK-5 (due out in may). The 2 can be had for about $65 shipped.

Regarding Schrade - I hope the knife you are about to receive is somehow a long hidden away US made Schrade. If it is Taylor LLC, you might swap it to Codger for a beautiful TBLLC 171 he tried to pawn off on me (Thanks Michael).
However, I have been well trained (by the same person) and didn't fall for it!

Greg

My offer still stands Greg.

msgl78.gif

:p

ya might wanna remove the racist crap from your post:( not cool, not funny and has burned quite a few on the forums who couldnt control themselves.
its well within your rights to state your opinion on the chinese manufactured knives and that can be accomplished without that garbage.
for the record i'm not a fan of taylor or the foreign produced schrade and camillus but i'm even less a fan of racist comments
cheers
ivan

I'm expecting that Schrade's history may be complex; what with their "involvement" in Barlow, Old Timer, etc, etc.

I'm hoping that someone can point me to a date by date, brand by brand, rundown on the past and present of this company.

The history of Imperial Schrade is quite complex. I have traced the beginnings back to Wattenheim, Germany, Italy, Theirs France, Poland, Nixdorf Bohemia, Ohligs-Solengin Germany, England and other far-flung places.

The final company was named Imperial Schrade Corporation and it ended in 2004 with a forced bankruptcy. The last vestage of the company, Camillus, closed likewise in 2007. Companies which became a part of ISC (most properly called "the Baer Cutlery Empire") include Schrade Cut Co (founded c.1904), Ulster Knife Co. (founded c.1876), Kingston (founded c.1943), Imperial (founded c. 1917), Vulcan Safety Razor (founded c. 1943), Wostenholm, Camillus (founded c. 1876/1902), Imperial Stag Listowel Ireland (founded c.1960 as part of Jowika - Germany).

I am sure I have missed some.

A listing of brands would be a monumental undertaking.

WoW! There's the good chance "monumental" might be understatement!

I'm thinking maybe I'll use the asian re-birth of these companies and their knives as a chance to just go ahead and collect MORE knives. If there's a model that strikes my fancy I'll just have to find an "original" and a contemporary product for the sake of comparison. :D

...asian re-birth of these companies...

The companies have not been reborn. Just the trademarks. They are now "nostalgia marks".

It ain't the same! See?
2l9179l.jpg

ya might wanna remove the racist crap from your post:( not cool, not funny and has burned quite a few on the forums who couldnt control themselves.
its well within your rights to state your opinion on the chinese manufactured knives and that can be accomplished without that garbage.
for the record i'm not a fan of taylor or the foreign produced schrade and camillus but i'm even less a fan of racist comments
cheers
ivan
Ditto on that!

I remember sometime ago when everyone laughed at Made in Japan. Not so anymore. I wish Schrade used Japanese steel as it is superior in strength and holds an edge well. With that being said I believe China does have great craftsman and it's the owner that decides how things are made not the craftsman when it comes to fast machine production. The new survival knives do look like they will stand up to the job. Not sure about the folders yet.

Back