Official Jackmaster Baseball Knife

r8shell

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'd never seen one of these before, and thought folks might find it interesting. A shell construction knife made by Imperial, 1946-1956, according to the tang stamp. It appears to have rules for some sort of 'baseball' game on the covers. I suppose you would take turns tossing it down on the ground, and score according to how it lands. I know mumbly-peg was a game that kids played with pocket knives, but I find the idea of the knife company printing instructions encouraging this pretty amusing. "Kids! Drop your knife on the ground, over and over, trying to get it to stick just so. When it breaks, go buy another one right away!" :D

Has anyone seen an Official Baseball Knife before?

Jackmaster baseball knife_1.jpg Jackmaster baseball knife_2.jpg

That's an awesome find! I can't imagine many of those are still around, much less in that kind of condition. Being a "youngin'", most "dangerous" games had been phased out long before I came into the world. I had never heard of Jackmaster Baseball or Mumbly-Peg. Thank you for sharing!

Hmmm...Don't remember playing by those rules. Didn't play a lot of mumbly peg, though kids did carry pocket knives in my neighborhood. Pea shooters were popular, until removed from the marketplace.

Great find, Rachel!

I'd never seen one of these before, and thought folks might find it interesting. A shell construction knife made by Imperial, 1946-1956, according to the tang stamp. It appears to have rules for some sort of 'baseball' game on the covers. I suppose you would take turns tossing it down on the ground, and score according to how it lands. I know mumbly-peg was a game that kids played with pocket knives, but I find the idea of the knife company printing instructions encouraging this pretty amusing. "Kids! Drop your knife on the ground, over and over, trying to get it to stick just so. When it breaks, go buy another one right away!" :D

Has anyone seen an Official Baseball Knife before?

View attachment 945860 View attachment 945861
Haven't seen it before, but that is cool!

That's an awesome find! I can't imagine many of those are still around, much less in that kind of condition. Being a "youngin'", most "dangerous" games had been phased out long before I came into the world. I had never heard of Jackmaster Baseball or Mumbly-Peg. Thank you for sharing!
When I was around 11, we used to play with an Opinel between our fingers, hand on the grass. Happily no one did do it fast enough to hurt a finger or the back of the hand. Recently I heard about this silly game, but I can't remember if it was in a movie or else.

:cool:Great find, Rachel! I know and had seen one once. Only because for a 2 year period of time, back from 2010 thru 2012, I had been hunting every shell handled Imperial I could find, to fill my cardboard counter displays, and ran across one. Unfortunately it was also missing some of its shell wrapping. But as far as even owning one, I probably should have bought it. So I’m very tickled to see yours! They were and are part of the history of these fun little and dependable knives. :thumbsup::cool:

Very, very cool Rachel :) The game is known as 'Splits' here, as I know it is in some parts of the US. My mother taught me to play it (with a shell-handled Richards knife)! :D :thumbsup:

Something to 'Cut Out & Keep' ;)

2qdbtq9 (1).png

Charlie @waynorth sent me this lovely little Remington Lobster, which the seller reckoned was one Mickey Mantle bought by the box-load to give away to folks :)

Remington Mickey Lobster 1-1.JPG

When I was around 11, we used to play with an Opinel between our fingers, hand on the grass. Happily no one did do it fast enough to hurt a finger or the back of the hand. Recently I heard about this silly game, but I can't remember if it was in a movie or else.
Maybe Aliens, where Bishop the android holds down the whiney guy's hand and stabs between his fingers with lightning speed?
Interesting to see Jack Black Jack Black 's rules on mumbledy peg. I had only a vague idea that one was meant to stick one's knife in the ground.
Very cool baseball game and knife, r8shell r8shell .

We used to play another game where we took turns throwing our knives between each others feet. If you successfully stuck your knife between your opponents feet, then they had to move their feet closer together. In another version we would both take one step back making a longer throw. Note: nobody ever got seriously hurt. Silly kids with silly knife games. Today we would be branded bullies and terrorists. Lol

We used to play another game where we took turns throwing our knives between each others feet. If you successfully stuck your knife between your opponents feet, then they had to move their feet closer together. In another version we would both take one step back making a longer throw. Note: nobody ever got seriously hurt. Silly kids with silly knife games. Today we would be branded bullies and terrorists. Lol

Stretch? When I was in grammar school, there was a hardware store across the street where you could purchase a shell-type pocket knife for about 29 cents. We'd play stretch during recess. Teachers never took away our pocket knives...just our marbles! :eek::D

Back