OG Fiddlebacks

bonafide

Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers
I didn't realize posting a picture of my first Fiddleback yesterday would cause a wave of inquiries and someone mentioned we should start a thread for older examples of Andy's work. This Bushcrafter is the one that started it for me. I bought it on the used market a little over a year ago. At the time I thought the price was kinda high for a used knife but I could never get in on the Friday sharkfest. It was frustrating but I'm glad I stuck in there. Shortly after buying this OG Bushcrafter, I bought a new one - I prefer the newer and slimmer handles Andy is putting out now and I set this Bushy to the side. I would like to see Scandi grinds offered again and this spalting is iNsANe!! But I can see from a maker's point of view - you want to move forward in your craft/art and not stay in the past. However - always fun to revisit it.

Post up pics of you older Fiddlebacks!!

bushcrafter_OG_0.jpg

bushcrafter_OG_3.jpg

bushcrafter_OG_1.jpg

bushcrafter_OG_2.jpg

bushcrafter_OG_5.jpg

bushcrafter_OG_6.jpg

Absolutely stunning Bud.
I love the older style of knives that Andy used to make and that spalting on them is just magic .
Currently I have one older model of which I will post pics latter.

Mick

My first experience with Fiddleback Forge was the original Bushfinger, and man that was a sweet first experience after some others. It was the first of several brown paper I have unwrapped.

FBO1.jpg

FBO2.jpg

FBO3.jpg

FBO4.jpg

Then came the Hunter, and my love of Andy's work just continued to grow

FBO5.jpg

FBO6.jpg

FBO7.jpg

But I had fallen in love with the bolstered Hiking Buddy in the first photo of the Bushfinger, and wanted one badly.

FBO8.jpg

And was smitten by them at Andy's booth at Blade in 2011

FBO9.jpg

FBO10.jpg

Loving the bolsters, but being unfamiliar with black palm, not having a lot of experience with the scandi grind, and having a major fondness for box elder...I chose the dyed blue box elder one. The first of four Hiking Buddies, the last one I still have.

FBO11.jpg

Then later there came my first KE Bushie, which I am afraid is doomed to a similar fate as the Hiking Buddy for me, there have been two, and there is at least one more to go :)

FBO12.jpg

FBO13.jpg

As a recent addition to the Fiddleback community, I love seeing the OG Fiddlebacks. These sets of pictures show how gifted Andy is, as an artist and knifemaker.
Thanks for starting this thread Bud.
Preston

And they said that "Time Travel" wasn't possible.........it's like enjoying a bottle of vintage wine.......sip & savor !

This is has to be the most comfortable fiddleback I've ever worked with.

rrEf95I.jpg

This is an awesome thread!!!!

Mist I love looking at the pictures of the table at blade 2011. I can't even imagine trying to choose one from all those beauties. I would love to see more pics of the past blade tables.

When I first got into fiddlebacks I want taken by the spalting but now I am crazy for it especially the old 3d stuff. Bud that one is a beauty.

Gosh, every single one of those pictured is absolutely gorgeous!!

I'm with hasco...I think my head would have exploded standing in front of that table. Hopefully that would have happened before I drained my life savings on knives.

Keep 'em coming folks, really enjoyable thread.

I never owned this one, but here's one for you scandi nuts.

It's a woodsman btw.

AfnT1oB.jpg

Andy needs to do a vintage run. Maybe once every two months have a batch that was inspired by his old style: Insane spalting, scandi grinds on larger models, etc...

Cool seeing the old stuff.

I have some from the Andy Roy on the Butt stage. Anyone have one with Fiddleback on the flats?

I wonder how the wood on wood handles have held up over the years. They look sweet but I doubt the dry Colorado climate would be very nice to them.

awesome stuff guys, here are links to couple of reviews I've seen in the past that helped me get into Fiddlebacks. The bushcrafter with the full convex is my personal grail. I soooooo wish I could handle one of the more rounder handles from the old days (but absolutely no complaints with the current handle designs).

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/715812-FiddleBack-Forge-Lady-Finger-Variant

http://jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?14914-Fiddleback-Forge-Bushfinger-(-Photo-heavy!-)

http://backyardbushman.com/?page_id=304

http://www.woodsmonkey.com/fiddleback-forge-bushcrafter-review

This is an awesome thread!!!!

Mist I love looking at the pictures of the table at blade 2011. I can't even imagine trying to choose one from all those beauties. I would love to see more pics of the past blade tables.

When I first got into fiddlebacks I want taken by the spalting but now I am crazy for it especially the old 3d stuff. Bud that one is a beauty.

I have pics from Blades 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 on a portable hard drive I think.

The old 3D spalting was some wild stuff.
Photo-6.jpg

Back