Oh no, not another temper question!

I am using 5160 steel. After I temper at 400 degrees do I need to quench the blade, or do I let it cool off naturally at room temperature? I have been told both methods by two different people.
What is the correct/best method?

Thanks,
Kyle

You qunech for the heat treat, after bringing up to critical temperature(don't know what this is for 5160, a guess would say at least 1400 degrees). This makes the steel ahrd, but brittle

Then you temper, at say 400 as you say, and let cool naturally. quench again then I don't think will do anything, though I make no claims of being an expert. Not hot enough to help on hardness, and I don't THINk it would have any effect, or at least any positive effect on grain size, strength, etc.

There are others here who can and will answer better though.

After temper it makes no difference whether you quench it or let it cool slowly because the changes occur at the tempering temperature.

Hey, I got the shipment of the other camo micarta today. Great stuff! Let me know when you do another batch.

and that is one thing Mete taught me I will never forget.

Do you know what hardness you got with that on the 5160?? I was getting 58 w/400 temper, which I thought pretty good.

RL

Back