Ohio folks: Automatic knives and "concealed carry"

A question for any fellow Ohioans who have a pretty good handle on knife laws in the state; what exactly constitutes open carry for knives? Does a pocket clip count? What if covered by a shirt/jacket?

I looked at the laws and this part is the ambiguous element which is keeping me from carrying around my OTFs. Any light on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told places that require open carry usually allow you to have the knife in a sheath attached to your belt (with your shirt tucked in) or clipped to your breast pocket. I don't know exactly how things work in Ohio, but that's what I've heard about other places that have similar requirements. Best to ask a lawyer.

There was a Knife Rights bill introduced in Ohio recently to change the concealed knife carry laws and remove the prohibition on the commercial manufacture and sale of automatics. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

The Ohio law doesn't mention specific knives in the law, it mentions "concealed weapons". These are NOT covered by the concealed carry permit by the way.

The way it reads leaves the specifics up to interpretation. If you are carrying an OTF auto with skulls all over it and an engraving that says "born to kill", it becomes difficult to convince anyone that you just have it to open mail.

Basically, the less "weapon like" your piece appears, the less trouble you should have. Also, self incrimination can be an issue. If asked "why" you are carrying and you reply "self defense", then a nail clipper could hang you on your own admission.

My 2 cents...

Back