Recommendation? Oily/Discolored New Slysz Bowie

Just bought a Slysz Bowie now that its getting discontinued. I ordered one to see what the hype was all about.

When I received the knife it was very oily, and came with a discolored tip. Is this normal? does XHP stain like that? Box and everything look okay, and its probably the sharpest knife out of the box that I've ever run into, I certainly struggle to get anything this sharp on the Sharpmaker even with Ultra Fine Stones.

I1AzlPu.jpg

uYsF3kH.jpg

wPMlIf1.jpg

njmW48H.jpg

MLAL5Kh.jpg

Thanks,

-anteck7

Not normal. Return it!

Where did you get it from?

Yep, those dealers will sell returns as new...I would suggest not buying them from past experience.

Yeah, what Scooter said. I've never recieved Spyderco's oily, and xhp wouldn't need it anyway, it's pretty stainless.

Actually, this is quite normal, I've gotten many spydies from tai Chung that had this oil all over them. My slysz bowie and my spydie chef came this way. Same thing with my mantra.... Dunno about the discolored steel tho, are you sure it won't come out?

amazon strikes again.:)

yep return take refund and buy from one of the good dealers here. thats what i would do.

sadly amazon will restock it and resell it to someone else.

How would I go about trying to remove the stain without ruining the finish?
Start with WD-40... you can still find these at good retailers that will get you a good version if you choose to return it. Hope you don’t make it worse trying to fix something!

I also got a Slysz bowie this week from Amazon after hearing about the discontinuation. Similar to yours there was oil all over it which struck me at first too. I ended up just wiping it off and it is all good now. No complaints.

While I've had my trovules with amazon they have always made it right.

I'm going to email Spyderco

My Slysz Bowie from Blade HQ was very oily, but no staining on the blade or tip. The Spydiechef I also got from Blade HQ was oily, and the Sage 2 I got from TQK was also oily. I would say this is normal, although the discoloration on the blade I am not so sure about. The oil on all three easily wiped off and left no stains. They are all pristine pieces. Could be a Taichung thing..

Will try to wipe off staining with wd 40 and will also send an oil to Spyderco.

Knife is very sharp, but not drop shut out of box.

How would I go about trying to remove the stain without ruining the finish?
Use Zippo Lighter fluid or acetone. No need to return it. Think they do it sometimes to fight corrosion. If it doesn't come off I'm sure we can try something else.

It's not really a drop shut type of knife. Mine smooth with some oil and polished washers.

Talking about jumping on things too quickly...and I am not defending amazon. But in this case I am fairly certain the oil and stain on the tip will wipe off easily. Sharpening oil someimes can do the magic of removing stains.

Tried wiping the stain off the tip. BTW I can feel the stain with my fingernail, but can't seem to scrape it off with my fingernail. Again, if this was a $50-60 dollar knife, I wouldn't be obsessing over it, or even if I could be sure if it was just a surface issue.

Eyeglass Cleaner Provides doesn't seem to remove it.
Zeiss lens cleaning wipes don't seem to remove it.
WD40 doesn't remove it.

I'm considering using some Electric contact cleaner, but unsure if some of these things might damage the blade finish.

The oil is normal out of the box, at least with the ones we have received. The stain is not typical though.

If stain can be felt by fingernail, it’s possible a burnt probably from grinding. Looks like one to me. I’d say if you’re in US, send it to Spyderco for checking, I’m sure they want to know what happened with one if the top factory they work with.

Back