Ok guys, need your help again :D

I want to get a JK knife for my bro. Hes got a thing for tanto blades. He likes the color combo of my knife and the handle shape/size, etc. So here is my question. Would a 7" blade that has a 1" height look right? or would that be too damn long and skinny.

It would look wierd IMO. Like a long spatula.

russ17090_spatula6in_cv.jpg

I personally wouldn't go more than about 5.5" for a 1" tall blade.
How thick are you planning on going?

Dave

Maybe we can make about a 1.2" blade height, 7" long and cut down to 1" handle like my custom knife from John.

It would look way to small with a 1" width. I would add at least half an inch to that. Get some graph paper and sketch it out. I think 1.75-2 would look good.

Last edited:
Maybe take a look at John's Camp Knife. It's got a 6" blade 1.5" tall.
I won't speak for him, but maybe he could add an inch and give it a tanto point.

Dave

This one is 1 3/4" tall. If you go this tall, the quote I sent you will be more.

2u948sk.jpg

2w5iryw.jpg

For 7" I'd lean towards 1.5"...but could always split the difference with 1.25". My Fallkniven A1 has a 6" blade and is 1.25" wide and it looks great. Really depends on what look you like and how it will be used. In my mind, with a tanto style blade, less width would give it more of a Japanese look...and up in the 2" range starts to give it a cleaver type of look. You want to slice or you want to chop...or something in between? I personally like the middle road. If it was going to be my knife, I think that 1.0" is a bit slight...but that an extra 0.25" to 0.5" would be enough.

Shaping up, but I'm not sure that I dig that much curve in the blade...unless the blade was quite a bit longer. Also, to stick with a more angular theme, I think the exposed tang out back would look sweet squared off with slightly rounded corners...and maybe include two lanyard holes. I do really like the gentle curve in the handle.

This one reminds me of a Rhino !:D

I agree. One that ran into the back of a bus.

I DO wish I had your ability to design knives. I went on a graph paper search over the weekend. Couldn't find any oversize paper, just regular size. Ended up with expensive poster board.
I'm going to give it a shot.

Dave

Back