ok, I may have just lost my mind

I have been carrying my SOG Mini Aegis around the house in my gym shorts (coronavirus business formal attire), and it has got me craving something very similar to it, just with a better steel (AUS8 not doing it for me).

So, I have been looking, and the Para 3 LW is what I think is going to scratch this itch. But, I want to try a super edge retention steel on it. Looking around and I like REX45, but then I realize that is not that different from HAP40, which I have a couple knives in already.

So, looking around more and I see a G10 Para 3 in MAXAMET ... piques my interest. Do a little research, and my interest is way high. But from what I can see, no immediate plans for Para 3 LW in MAXAMET :(

Here is where my sanity leaves me. I just ordered a G10 Para 3 in Maxamet and a Para 3 FS in BD1N. I am going to do a blade swap when they get here and probably gift the FS G10 version to one of my brothers-in-law who both appreciate good knives but will never buy themselves one :)

That is a spendy way to get my Para 3 LW in MAXAMET with black scales!!! If my wife figures out what I did, I might be sleeping on the couch for a night or two ;)

Sometimes you want what you want!

I really wanted a Spyderco Native 5 with steel liners, Cruwear blade, and wood handles... Which sadly didn’t exist.

So off I went to buy an old g10 Native 5 with steel liners (they removed the liners from the new ones), a linerless g10 Native 5 with a Cruwear blade, and then had some African Blackwood scales made. It ended up being a fairly expensive Native 5, but I love it! :D

d3Ywiq5.jpg

d8t3Fd4.jpg

I wanted a titanium Military with a Carpenter 204P blade. I bought a fluted Military and the Knife Works exclusive Military with the dark green G10 handles and 204P blade. I swapped the blades and got what I want and have a pretty good looking second knife also. Expensive, yes, but I got what I wanted. Fortunately the knives lend themselves to these kind of swaps.

Calm down! :p:D you haven't lost your mind! Just a few extra dollars....
You bought a knife for yourself and out of the goodness of your heart, and love for the in-laws, you decided to buy one for them as well :)
Mamma don't need to know everything :cool:

Sounds perfectly normal to me ;). I carry a SE Dragonfly daily along with my primary folder because I find that the serrated edge (while not ideal for slicing) comes in handy at times. Well, to class it up a bit I decided to buy the pakkawood version and do a blade swap (actually it ended up being a blade/spring/lock swap to make it all play well together). I carry it all the time and I like it so much I plan to do another with the G10 Dragonfly and H1 SE blade. BTW, I think Nick Shabazz made a video of a para 3 LW Maxamet swap that might be a good reference or you.

n9l5uLq.jpg

ZCpxLjm.jpg

I really wanted a Spyderco Native 5 with steel liners, Cruwear blade, and wood handles... Which sadly didn’t exist.

So off I went to buy an old g10 Native 5 with steel liners (they removed the liners from the new ones), a linerless g10 Native 5 with a Cruwear blade, and then had some African Blackwood scales made. It ended up being a fairly expensive Native 5, but I love it! :D

d3Ywiq5.jpg

d8t3Fd4.jpg
That is classy!

I wanted a titanium Military with a Carpenter 204P blade. I bought a fluted Military and the Knife Works exclusive Military with the dark green G10 handles and 204P blade. I swapped the blades and got what I want and have a pretty good looking second knife also. Expensive, yes, but I got what I wanted. Fortunately the knives lend themselves to these kind of swaps.
Nice choice on the 204p!

good idea... I was lucky and found the gb2 - which is cpm-m4 and carbon fibre so I didn't need to make any replacements

I do want to make some nice ironwood scales for a few other knives I have, but I'm doing it myself

I have an M4 native from a blade swap, it was a good choice. Luckily, someone else did the blade swap for me as they wanted the cruwear blade that came with the handle I now have.

That is one gorgeous knife!

Calm down! :p:D you haven't lost your mind! Just a few extra dollars....
You bought a knife for yourself and out of the goodness of your heart, and love for the in-laws, you decided to buy one for them as well :)
Mamma don't need to know everything :cool:

No truer true has ever been trued!

Sounds perfectly normal to me ;). I carry a SE Dragonfly daily along with my primary folder because I find that the serrated edge (while not ideal for slicing) comes in handy at times. Well, to class it up a bit I decided to buy the pakkawood version and do a blade swap (actually it ended up being a blade/spring/lock swap to make it all play well together).

Some nice wood scaled Spyderco knives in these replies :)

You're not the only person to go down this road...

Yah, I thought I was being all original and stuff, went looked for blade swap videos between para 3 and para 3 LW. Found this one that is doing almost exactly what I was planning and he beat me by a few months if I remember correctly.

I had my Kirk yelling at Kahn momment ;)

SHAAABAAAAAZZZZZZZZ!! From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee. You and your LBH have out done me!!!!!!

EDIT: just realized I conflated Kahn and Kirk there :D

Wait wait wait... You wanna pay extra just to get the cheapo plastic scales instead of G10?! :confused:

Just leaving this here. I firmly believe in making it just like you want it. I would have preferred more blue after rit-dying the rex45 knife, but that's another story.
And R Reswob - oddly enough, I prefer the LW scales to the g10. I have some micarta scales that I also like better than the g10 - but the LW is oddly my favorite of the bunch. I don't love frn scales in general either.

25jzTra.jpg

Back