OK Rumor is no longer - There will be a Microtech Bali-Song and I am the mystery man

Interchangable blades sounds nice, although when it comes down to it, it wouldnt be a priority.

Interchangable inserts just seems like a silly idea personaly. I would certainly never take advantage of it.

I do like the idea of more than just one size; a 3" and a 4" would be great.

Just an idea for the latch, but would a small elastic loop of some kind be possible? you would simply pull it up over the safe handel and let it sit in a notch in the metal. If it were elastic, it could be very short, it would be light obviously, and also be very cheap....also quiet!!

Well, there's my .02...man i cant wait to see these things!!

Well Mike, it sounds like you've thought it out pretty darned well already. One thing I've not seen mentioned that I think would be nice, would be some way to replace the pins, or at least the part that wears during use. If that was the case, it'd be like the ultimate user bali!

My other idea would be an auto version, so instead of learning to manipulate it, you just press the button and it flips itself open.
wink.gif
Yeah I know, I've been reading too many of Vampire Gerbils's posts I think.

For me it would be realy nice if there came to be a version with a sub 9 centimeter blade so it would be legal where I live.

Besides that I think that a bali should be simple. No toys to substract from that.

One of the blades should be a pure cutter: distal tappered, wide beveled and thin!

Good luck with the project.

------------------
My Photopoint pictures

My thoughts are:

No inserts at all,those are a pain in the arse (especially if one gets "missplaced").
Use either straight skeletonized,knurled or waved handles only.
A removeable/switchable latch is the best idea.You don't want anything that can stop the knife in open or closed position while you're doing non-stop moves.
As far as a switchable blade,that is a good idea,but a lot of users probably wouldn't bother.But,you could just make it easy enough to take the knife apart for cleaning/oiling purposes.Yet,you can still offer extra blades of same/different types that won't affect the balance of the knife.You'll still probably sell enough of them to make a difference.The thing is,you could also make different handles as well to be switched.If you do this,you could call it "The Changeling"
smile.gif

------------------
*The* Lunatic Puppy
It wasn't me...It was my *good* twin..
My "inner puppy" made me do it..

Stay away from indents/protrusions on the handles as mentioned earlier. I think this would affect the feel of orientation on the handles. Bali handles (IMHO) should be straight, or at least have a consistent pattern running the length of them. Changable blades would be pretty rad, but I'd be concered with the mechanical integrity. In any case, I'm sure to get whatever it is you guys come up with. I'm interested to see what you can think up.

------------------
~Dave

"One in the hand is worth two in the sheath"

The replaceable blade sounds good. I like the idea........... ya' break a tip (and who hasn't?), you replace the blade. Simple!

The changeable inserts sound like a weak link in the chain though. Especially since permanently (yeah, right) mounted scales have always fallen apart on me.

Now, with that said, I do think that a full side "Facade" might work. You can make the Main liner out of TI, then attach full sided Face-plates to the sides, much like scales on a folder. The face-plates themselves can be Skeleton or Insert type, and made from Steel, brass, TI, G-10, or whatever. Attachment could be via torx screws at top and bottom, or sides.

The inside face of these plates can also be grooved (or drilled) to accept small, movable counter weights. A must if you're offering different blades and scales as an option....... because balance IS important.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another thing that could use improvement is the Tang pin, and it's relationship to the handles.

The small contact area that most tang pins provide is murder on the average handle material. I think a larger contact surface area would not only extend the life of a Balisong, but would also make for a tighter lock-up when open.

My thought is this:

Normally, the tang pin is done by drilling a whole, and inserting a small section of rod.

I think a better method would be, to notch (or groove) that end out and insert a disk (horizontally) into it. That would give more contact area, and be stronger than your typical Tang pin of today. Again, a set screw would hold it in place.

And please, please, please.............. I'm beggin' ya' here...... DON'T make it latchless!!!!
frown.gif

At the very least, make a standard latch available to those of us that consider it a MUST HAVE.

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

I would really like to see something like the design patented by Barry Wood. James Mattis made a post about a collaboration between Barry and Pacific cutlery here, the model 983. Unfortunately its old enough that the pictures aren't available anymore. Theres a picture of it in the back of "How to make folding knives" by Walker, Lake, and Centofante also. I'll see if I can't find one online somewhere.I think it eliminates the latch problem. I don't know if the patent is expired or not.
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum47/HTML/000582.html

------------------
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I've got the sharpest knife in the room.

"Count me in no matter what you guys come up with!!!"-Dawkind

lol, yeah, he'll have 100 of every single variation humanly possible. then he'll post pictures to make us all drool to death
wink.gif

First, if the handle can be removed, I don't think there is a need to make the latch interchangable as you could just switch around the handles for that.
Second, an autolocking/releasing latch would make it a gravity knife in a lot of areas. I really don't care for that idea. I believe that someone else already pointed out that when you are doing a transitional move that involves closing the knife, just to open it again, it would impede the users ability to do that.
Next, the inserts. IMO microtech has always been concerned with collectability. By making inserts interchangable, that would take away from the collectability of the knife. You could list it for sale with MOP inserts or ABS plastic inserts and it wouldn't make a difference to me. If I wanted MOP and the knife didn't have it, I'd just go ahead and by them separately. Not to mention, they may not hold up too well.
I would like to see a blade offered which is utilitarian in nature. I know microtech wouldn't just go ahead and make something similar to the BM's utility. MT always has to make it look fancy. That is good, I'd just want to make sure that it still cuts and could be used and used well, not just looked at.
I think Clay's suggestion about the tang pin is a valid one. Same with the latch. Making it removable is fine. But I wouldn't want to see it omitted.
I've seen a latch before (Gollnick) can show a picture) where the latch goes from narrow (inside the handle[pivot area]) to wide(just long enough to stop against the outside of the handle). The slot in one handle is a little wider than the other.

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

No offense to anyone involved in this but let me play "Devil's Advocate".

The beauty of the Balisong is in it's simplicity. Two handles, a couple of pins, and one blade assembled without moving parts or delicate micro-engineered hardware. Yet this simple design allows for a near infinate number of artistic openings, closings, and manipulations.

Think of the humble ball. You can easily spend thousands on high-tech toys that grow old and end up gathering dust. With a little imagination you can spend a lifetime finding new ways to play with a simple ball.

I'm looking forward MT's Balisong. I just hope that the powers that be remember that it IS a Balisong.

Brent...
eek.gif

(It would be cool if it had a Global Positioning System though)
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Classified00 (edited 04-02-2001).]

I agree! I doubt MT would be able to fulfill all of those request (i.e. auto-latching/latchless/interchangeable blades/removable handles, non-standard tang pins). And at a price under $200?

Just make em simple, with inserts and maybe few, non-removeable, different blade profiles to choose from. Any other variations and it's gonna cost much much more :-|

------------------
~Howdy

"Wow, BOB, Wow!" - the Arm
http://www.firewalkwithme.org

Ep79 has a good ideal...removable handles then no need to interchange the latch. I too like to choose my blade style depending on use.

MR. MIKE
smile.gif
you have it wrong, sir, it seems that we are the ones whom are listening. Preach on! Please keep retail to a minimum so that thoughtful common folk can keep up with the Jones's.
biggrin.gif

All these alloys are nice but how about a good ole' "in your face" good steel handled design that kicks butt and lasts forever.

I would also like to see the classic blade styles offered.

------------------
lokai.gif

Sabo 29
"Catch you on the flip side"!

Here's my thought, even though I'm an auto nut more than a butterfly nut.

Keep it simple!

My idea on the latch is....something similar to the BM latch, but less obtrusive. Latches and unlatches manually, but then retracts into the handle via a spring. Don't ask me how, but I like it!

I'm sure whatever Mike and MT decide will be great!
Good luck!

the unlatching mechanism, why not just keep it simple with an in handle slide, like an italian stiletto, that slides down and pops a standard style catch out, spring loaded, pop open and the spring withdraws it so its not in the way when you want to close it. Simple basic, wont break and its easy to use.

the unlatching mechanism, why not just keep it simple with an in handle slide, like an italian stiletto, that slides down and pops a standard style catch out, spring loaded, pop open and the spring withdraws it so its not in the way when you want to close it. Simple basic, wont break and its easy to use.

Sabo, I was thinkin the same thing about a steel handle. I just don't think that they would do it no matter how nice we ask.
Seeing as this is almost turning into a wish list(which I like a lot!), I would guess that the handles are going to be made of Ti? If so, how about making the handles wider like the old BM's or Manila Folders? I say this for two reasons.
1.) They feel a lot meatier and more authoratative(sp?)
2.) It would allow more room to create any new latch designs you and MT come up with.

Please keep the blade, or at least one of them, utilitarian in nature. I'm sure many would want to use this thing.

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

I'd love to see a 3" version, titanium handles,...and since it's a Microtech, how about the Combat Talon II blade?!! And a tritium latch, of course. Ahhhhh...bliss
smile.gif
!!

------------------
Eric
"The best toys are the ones that you can put an eye out with."

Back