Recommendation? Ok, so I guess I kinda love knives. Now what?

Greetings and welcome. When are you coming to Cape Town?
Thanks! I’ll be there a short while: landing on 27th of April and leaving on the 30th.

I actually spent my honeymoon in South Africa, 8 years ago. Got a flat tire in the middle of Krueger. Fastest tire change of my life 😂

I see, from your surname I figured you lived in Denmark. But maybe a descendant?
Keen eye, and you're correct. One day I hope to visit Scandinavia and Finland, but for now it's a bit of a pipe dream.
I enjoy the folk art and lore from that region, and I would be remiss to not credit that with some of my fascination of the knives.
That and the salesmen are really good at equating a good knife with life and death above the arctic circle, which surely must apply to us below the frost line.

Last edited:
Great, thanks! I’ll check those out.
The DAN seems like a pretty useful piece. Did you use the rhino? Looks pretty unique?
I did! It's an absolute beast, but really well finished and shockingly smooth for a back lock. I don't carry it much anymore because I prefer tip up carry, but it definitely got carried and used!

Thanks! I’ll be there a short while: landing on 27th of April and leaving on the 30th.

I actually spent my honeymoon in South Africa, 8 years ago. Got a flat tire in the middle of Krueger. Fastest tire change of my life 😂
Unfortunately I won't be here in April, I'm going to visit family in New Zealand. Be safe while you are here. ;)

My strongest recommendation for knives & a company that are the best for the money - Esee from Randal Adventure Training.

i have -
Junglas
E6
E5 - (highly recommended for travel in sketchy places, very tough and perfect in emergencies)
E4
Candiru
AH-1Arrowhead

They are 1095 high carbon steel and can stain or rust if not cared for. However just oil the blade and they're easy to sharpen and hold an edge very well.

You can find them on Knife Works on this link:

And welcome to knife world!

Thanks!
I heard about that town!
I’ll be in Malaga for ten days so maybe a day trip up north could work.
Those knives look really nice btw. What models are the second and fourth from the top?
Thanks again!
That would be a pretty awesome day trip. The 2nd one down from the top is the Ember, which a lot of people consider their favourite Joker. The one at the bottom is the Ursus. I like the Montanero (seen top) and Lynx both better than the Ursus. The Kephart style Trampero (middle pic) is pretty nice too. The Joker Nomad has a lot of fans, especially the newer Nomad 6.5 version (I have the original version but if I was buying it now I would get the bigger one). The Joker Nessmuk flat grind version (bottom pic) is also easy on the eyes. A lot of Joker's fixed blades come in a choice of either Sandvik 14C28N steel (which I prefer) or Bohler N695. A few Joker models also give you a choice of flat or Scandi grind.

51836916588_46a7ab10ec_b.jpg

52491928770_b528a74bc6_b.jpg

52200854276_ff193dd3f8_b.jpg

South Africa has Arno Bernard knives. They make excellent knives with exquisite handle inlays.
See for yourself click-click
With Arno Bernard you can find everything you ask for in one knife... That's quite something ;)

Good luck and welcome.

Keen eye, and you're correct. One day I hope to visit Scandinavia and Finland, but for now it's a bit of a pipe dream.
I enjoy the folk art and lore from that region, and I would be remiss to not credit that with some of my fascination of the knives.
That and the salesmen are really good at equating a good knife with life and death above the arctic circle, which surely must apply to us below the frost line.
Haha, Swedes are pretty good at marketing yeah..
Let me know when you decide to come. I don’t know much about Norway and Denmark as such but I’ve lived in Stockholm all my life and I know the hidden gems that don’t show up in google searches 😏

Back