OKC packaging and questions about discontinued SP51.

So I got a SP50 new in box and liked it so much I ordered the SP51.
The box for the SP50 was sealed closed with the round clear stickers.

The SP51 had no seals on the box and the label on the end of the box has more info then the SP50. It includes (PN:O8551) and Feb '15 in the bottom of the label on the box. The SP50 does not have this info on the box label.

Both knives look genuine and the sheaths are the same but why does the one include a date? And I believe the SP51 is a discontinued knife so why would the date be Feb 2015? The knives both have the same style markings on the blade (kind of goldish looking) so I think they are both real, but if I just ordered the SP51 and it is discontinued how can the date be Feb 2015?

And why was the SP51 discontinued? I was looking at reviews and people said they liked the way the SP51 blade splits wood and gave it higher ratings then the SP50. But looking at other reviews people prefer the full flat grind to the saber grind. And it saves a few ounces. Was the SP51 just not selling? Either way I have both now so I won't regret not having one of them.

Hi Guys,

It's true, the SP-51 has been discontinued. I wasn't in on that conversation, but generally when two products are that similar, sooner or later one of them goes away, probably the lower selling one. When they saw our full Gen II series in our catalog, most people went a little cross-eyed and moved on. Now, that said, the SP-51 is still available on our website and through many stores, and there's no guarantee we won't start making them again. So this is about as soft as a discontinuation gets. Bottom line, when there are no more, if enough people are still asking, it'll come back.

As for the knives you have, kingandrew, nothing there sounds to me like you've got a fake. The change in box information could be something as simple as running out of one kind of box or label, or even just to make it easier to tell two knives apart that are only differentiated by the grind. It's impossible to say for sure if it's a fake by a description, but nothing there makes me suspect that.

Hi Guys,

It's true, the SP-51 has been discontinued. I wasn't in on that conversation, but generally when two products are that similar, sooner or later one of them goes away, probably the lower selling one. When they saw our full Gen II series in our catalog, most people went a little cross-eyed and moved on. Now, that said, the SP-51 is still available on our website and through many stores, and there's no guarantee we won't start making them again. So this is about as soft as a discontinuation gets. Bottom line, when there are no more, if enough people are still asking, it'll come back.

As for the knives you have, kingandrew, nothing there sounds to me like you've got a fake. The change in box information could be something as simple as running out of one kind of box or label, or even just to make it easier to tell two knives apart that are only differentiated by the grind. It's impossible to say for sure if it's a fake by a description, but nothing there makes me suspect that.

I was not concerned as much about either one being fake, but curious about the knife being discontinued and not on your website but the box having a Feb 2015 date on the label.

While I have your attention. The back of the SP51 is smooth and the back of the SP50 has the semicircle lines that are common to see on unfinished steel bars. Is the back of the knife usually smoothed flat in the manufacture? I don't think I need to include a photo. They are the small, irregular semicircle lines that you can see on almost any piece of unfinished steel. I am not concerned with them being there. It does look a little rough, but the back of the knife isn't used for anything anyway.

I was not concerned as much about either one being fake, but curious about the knife being discontinued and not on your website but the box having a Feb 2015 date on the label.

While I have your attention. The back of the SP51 is smooth and the back of the SP50 has the semicircle lines that are common to see on unfinished steel bars. Is the back of the knife usually smoothed flat in the manufacture? I don't think I need to include a photo. They are the small, irregular semicircle lines that you can see on almost any piece of unfinished steel. I am not concerned with them being there. It does look a little rough, but the back of the knife isn't used for anything anyway.

I guess at this point so many people ask "is my knife real?" that I just got used to answering it. It's back on the website now. Short answer as to why it wasn't there: web guy messed up (that's me). As for the box, they may have actually reboxed it before sending it out or something. I wish I had a better answer for you than my wild guess, but I don't know of any reason it would have necessarily been done.

I'm going to see about getting a more informed answer for you than mine would be on the semicircle lines. (Meaning I'm going to ask Toooj).

Kingandrew,

Please post some pics of the issue. Sometimes it's hard to visualize in words what would be obvious with a few pictures.
If you can do this, I'll be sure to get to the bottom of the issue for you.

Thanks.

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Kingandrew,

Please post some pics of the issue. Sometimes it's hard to visualize in words what would be obvious with a few pictures.
If you can do this, I'll be sure to get to the bottom of the issue for you.

Thanks.

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Here is one more photo of the back of the SP50.
orYH4fX.jpg

Kingandrew,

Thanks for the pic. Those are laser cutting pulses. Sometimes they are small and non existent, other times they are larger. Most companies that powder coat blades will not finish the spine and will cover them over with the p-coat.
They will not harm the blade or cutting performance.
If they still bug you, you can contact our customer service for an exchange.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

No problem. Just curious why one knife had them and the other did not. I got the knife to use and not to look at, so it doesn't bother me at all. Thanks!

Kingandrew,

Thanks for the pic. Those are laser cutting pulses. Sometimes they are small and non existent, other times they are larger. Most companies that powder coat blades will not finish the spine and will cover them over with the p-coat.
They will not harm the blade or cutting performance.
If they still bug you, you can contact our customer service for an exchange.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

When These Spec plus Gen 2's were released, they were marketed to be water jet cut to not induce any sort of heat to the steel before heat treating. why was the process changed?

Back