OKC sold. Panic Buy Completed.

i have completed my final pirchase from OKC. I will show you my complete collection once pictuers are ready, mostly SP.

Well I got my machete from the Blade Shop Amazon store. Its the wrong one, a 12 inch short model that is about 20% the value of what I paid for. Looks like a standard bait and switch to me. It now reads the link for my "product" to be 119.05 for an 18" SHEATH!

It just makes reinforces my image of BRK is just another wanabe ENRON of the knife business world.

Get your last OKC products from a trusted vendor...

Edicus: Put proper Store name on Amazon after Amazon CS finally contacted me on who the Vendor really was after they looked deeper in to this pile of :poop:.

Last edited:
I ordered a 498 Marine Combat Knife (Ontario's Ka-Bar) from Blade HQ. Since I ordered it they have sold out.
Good choice! I got a 498m as it didn't have a sharpened swedge, (I live in an "EVIL DAGGER!!!!!" state.) Its been a literal beater blade for me, it has no fuller but it don't seem to need one as it does a LOT of things I don't want to use a better knife for.

The only thing left on my list is possibly a Fish & Small Game. I did get a back-up 12ā€œ machete recently, even though my main user is still going strong. I have enough of everything else. I think. Hmm.

I wonder if Ontario's SP knives left on seller's shelves are now flying out the door, since they may be the last of the Mohicans in the Ontario line. Blue Ridge Knives could possibly contract some of the better sellers out to an American firm like Kabar, but the cost would likely price them out of their previous category. That would likely price them to extinction anyway.
If they are made overseas, well... the brand would lose one of the biggest things it still had going for it, the fact that they were USA made.
I'm extremely curious to see what BRK does with the brand and it's products.
It's been such an old American brand that, sadly, is just another domino to fall in the historic USA made knife category.
I have a good many Ontario products within my collection, but my two most treasured of them are likely my fairly rare SP-36 Sniper Spax, and my Ontario/Bagwell Bowie.
Of course I have the usual suspects as well, like the Ontario M7 Bayonet, M9 Bayonet, SP5, SP10, SP6, and so on. I must admit, I didn't see this coming. I just thought that somehow they would roll with the punches and keep on keeping on. But, there sure are a lot of knife manufacturers out there in this world, and it's got to be an extremely competitive business to be in. Sad to see another historic firm close it's doors. The name will continue, for now, but no doubt that it's biggest chapter has now closed šŸ˜¢

Just put an Alpha series on order, the 5ā€ version. They never caught my eye before, but after seeing some in hand pics here and there, I started to think they might be good users after all. Weā€™ll see.

I did some more dumb things. After I got that bait and switch machete problem settled and a fake strongarm issue, I went and dang dun it twice again...

Got two 22" machetes, and a SPL magnacut dive knife and just ordered a Rat 6 S35VN.

The first two were for a literal forest of blow downs.

SPL Dive knife probably for my brother who works on a fishing boat. Unless if I like it to much. Its very solid and yes I know its a dive knife and it can pry and cut globs of monofilament line, and I snorkel a lot in the fresh water lakes around here. So it still can serve me if my brother don't need it...unless I like it to much.

The Rat 6 S35VN was just to get one while I can since I had some cash and nice blade length and the exposed pummel seems better for my needs. I blew a lot of Bonus points at where I got it. Surprisingly, there are a lot of them still up for sales it seems. I got this from one of my two main knife getting places.

OK...well I did another "panic buy" The RAT6 the S35VN one. It did so good on the first part of larger critter cutting season I had to order another one. Might get some KC G-10 handles for them though if they become mostly Big Critter Cutters. Normally I stayed away from the RATS due to FFG grinds I hate. But for a nice S35VN tough slicer. I find this set with the good steel and blade grind are a wining combo for big critter cutting. NOT BONE BREAKING FOR THE BLADE! But the exposed pummel does that okishly. If not to big of one.

I got my first Ontario, the kukri, earlier this month and it has been a good chopper.

I just found out less than an hour ago and looked up what I intended to buy next month, the Raider Bowie, and the price has shot up where it is in stock.

I ordered a second kukri a few minutes ago.

I was able to get the SP-10 Raider Bowie last month at a reasonable price.

They were out of stock at that store the next day.

I wanted one since they came out but assumed Ontario would always be around.

Good Grab on the SP-10! They are a great multi-tool, I posted several times where the guard/quillions on the SP-10 saved my hands several time when doing wood processing with frozen hands by keeping the hand from slipping up the blade. My heart meds slow me up to much so going to "More Safe" tools is a wiser choice to avoid big slaserations, especially if one is also on Blood Thinners and Vascular Openers. It became my default winter wilderhood big blade over the SP-51/53, RD9, BK9 and such. But its just a great all rounder, its one of my Car Knives as well. The OKC addiction starter blade is still very dang useful.

talking about batoning, wood processing, try SP8 with beval angle adjusted to 40 degree. I found mine was 50-60 degree out of the factory, which makes it more of a hatchet. SP8 now is my most used tool, it is just one of a kind in the market.

OK I blew this year scope budge on my "Panic Buys." Since I missed out on several OKC blades and this is the literal last chance for most...

I got...
One last hurrah SP-10, the original OKC Gateway knife. Ones I gave to my relatives use them all the time and got some out of bad situations. Only one was a feral dog incident, rest were hacking some thing to make fires or shelter or trees/brush for traction under tires.

One 18" cutlass machete .

Two 22" machetes, one cutlass one traditional.

One Magna Cut S&L Dive knife, it turned out very useful even on land. Originally got it for my commercial fishing brother but well he's doing horses now so I kept it. A ferrier checked it out doing my dad's horse and wondered where he could get one. He said its "handy", I'm not knowledgeable to know what he finds handy about it. Maybe the pry part and blade good for fine trimming the hoofs. Think he plans on sharpening the pry part but that's a guess.

And TWO RAT 6s. Originally was going to get one but well, but the second one was to be a 4" one of the same material, but after seeing how useful the RAT 6 was, I got another one. The RAT 6 is good for standard knife things, uncoated good for large critter cutting season, and nice choil and can throw sparks off a fire steel good. I'd not use it for the abuse I use my RDs for. I feel good using the RAT 7 for harder abuse but not to the level of my RDs. If they ever saber grinded the RAT 7, it would be one of my favorites. My RAK is my favorite general purpose light pack knife, size wise but they do way over their weight class. It would be like a BK7 I guess, but I got BK9s so no need for a BK7. For field use or one large critter hunt I like the micarta handles, but the G-10 scales I put on the one for Large critter cutting season. I just cut where pointed out to, I'm a bad "Butcher", I just cut deer in to chunks and eat it later at will. But I Invested in two two G-10 KC handles. One might go on a stripped RAT7 for next year. At least I got spare RAT5/6/7 micarta scales for replacements. I like the way the RAT 7 feels in hand, but I been spoiled on the abuse use of my RD blades. (even the 1095/1075 RAKs). So for general use the RAT 7 is good, but for the way I use my RDs...it would break. The RAT 6 made me look again on my very biased view on my RAT 7, which both I regulate to only standard knife use. IF your wondering my best abuse blade is my RD Tanto, if I break the tip, I'll ask a blade maker to make it in a drop point for me saving as much material as possible.

Back