OKT Kiridashi Guard

I really like the Osprey Knife & Tool Kiridashi. Great compact size, graceful arcs, and sharp as a razor. It's a beautiful tool. So sharp and pointy that I needed a little something on the blade to keep from cutting myself.

Here's a small bamboo guard I made for it. I thought that bamboo was a perfect material for it since it is strong and light, and of course goes well with the Japanese origins of the blade.

IMG_0706_zps6ntgtzpj.png

The guard uses two rare earth magnets to lock the kiridashi in place, with a lanyard hole at the top to hang it from yourself or something else. It just pulls out from the bottom.

IMG_0701_zpsdmqohwaq.png

A keyed set of bamboo ribs assure that the kiridashi cannot push all the way through the top.

IMG_0690_zpsxgofpxeu.png

Since the magnets extend to the back side that means it can also attach to any ferrous surface.

IMG_0691_zpsm9aazwcw.png

IMG_0693_zpslts3pxrr.png

I may need to dial down the magnet strength, for the first version over 4 lbs of force is required to pull it out of the guard.

IMG_0696_zpsjzua0qeg.png

That's nice! Are they going to be available? I would like one for sure! :thumbup:

I like the last shot....you know how to do proper marketing :thumbup:...nice work!!

Awesome design dude -- sign me up! Nothing wrong with a 4lb draw weight; rather that than slicing my femoral artery :D.

Great work, let me know when you start taking orders!

Eric,
This design is Brilliant! I have been trying to come up with an Idea to safely carry the Kiridashi. I think I like yours by a mile so far. I need to get one of those!
Great work. I love seeing this kind of stuff

Chris

That is way too cool!!! I need one of those to go with the OK&T kiridashi that I also need!

Thanks all for the encouragement. I'll order some more magnets and maybe I can offer these in a week or so. Still need to tune the magnet placement a bit more.

That is a very cool guard! Now I want one of these with one of Chris' Dashis.

Hi all,

Based on using this for a few days I have made some improvements to the design. First off, I placed the magnets more toward the center. This has a nice effect of pulling the blade up into the guard better. Here you can see original on the left, and new design on the right.

IMG_0710_zpsvmc6cgc8.png

I moved to a stronger epoxy glue for the magnets. Adds another step and another material, but it locks the magnets in much better, and more importantly, creates a nice smooth/hard surface over the magnets for the blade to glide on as it travels in/out. I also switched the finish to Tung oil - it is more durable and I feel shows the grain better on bamboo.

IMG_0716_zpsviukuzzp.png

If anyone would like one of these please send me PM on the forum, or email exyzzy at gmail dot com. After I confirm the order, you can paypal. I now have all supplies on hand so subject to other orders already in the queue and my day job I should be able to ship within a few days. I will build them in order.

Price is $40 paypal which includes fully assembled Kiridashi Guard, shipped CONUS via USPS priority flat rate. Let me know if you are intl and I will figure out price delta. Thanks.

Thats pretty neat right there. Don't need one, but I'm impressed with the solution. I've never bought a Kirdashi because I've never been able to square what to do with one. Maybe a marking knife. Looks like the marking knife I made myself once.

Very cool. I would love to see a double rib at the bottom, covering the tip.

Back