OKT Kiridashi Guard

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Exyzzy, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Exyzzy

Exyzzy

Sep 11, 2015
    I really like the Osprey Knife & Tool Kiridashi. Great compact size, graceful arcs, and sharp as a razor. It's a beautiful tool. So sharp and pointy that I needed a little something on the blade to keep from cutting myself.

Here's a small bamboo guard I made for it. I thought that bamboo was a perfect material for it since it is strong and light, and of course goes well with the Japanese origins of the blade.

[​IMG]

The guard uses two rare earth magnets to lock the kiridashi in place, with a lanyard hole at the top to hang it from yourself or something else. It just pulls out from the bottom.

[​IMG]

A keyed set of bamboo ribs assure that the kiridashi cannot push all the way through the top.

[​IMG]

Since the magnets extend to the back side that means it can also attach to any ferrous surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may need to dial down the magnet strength, for the first version over 4 lbs of force is required to pull it out of the guard.

[​IMG]

2. crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Oct 2, 2013
    Sweet!!!

3. .357gus

.357gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    That's nice! Are they going to be available? I would like one for sure! :thumbup:

4. Guhul

Guhul

Oct 30, 2015
    I like the last shot....you know how to do proper marketing :thumbup:...nice work!!

5. Scotcha

Scotcha

Oct 25, 2013
    Very ingenious Eric

6. xxwjtxx

xxwjtxx

Dec 13, 2013
    Awesome design dude -- sign me up! Nothing wrong with a 4lb draw weight; rather that than slicing my femoral artery :D.

Great work, let me know when you start taking orders!

7. Dman3d

Dman3d

Jul 9, 2013
    What a great idea. Excellent.

8. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator

Jun 4, 2014
    Eric,
    This design is Brilliant! I have been trying to come up with an Idea to safely carry the Kiridashi. I think I like yours by a mile so far. I need to get one of those!
    Great work. I love seeing this kind of stuff

Chris

9. necrolicious

necrolicious

Nov 14, 2014
    Brilliant! Both in design and execution. Love it.

10. Marty W

Marty W

Feb 10, 2014
    Very cool!

11. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That is way too cool!!! I need one of those to go with the OK&T kiridashi that I also need!

12. Exyzzy

Exyzzy

Sep 11, 2015
    Thanks all for the encouragement. I'll order some more magnets and maybe I can offer these in a week or so. Still need to tune the magnet placement a bit more.

13. Ifinditfunny

Ifinditfunny

Jul 24, 2015
    I need one!

14. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    That is a very cool guard! Now I want one of these with one of Chris' Dashis.

15. Exyzzy

Exyzzy

Sep 11, 2015
    Hi all,

Based on using this for a few days I have made some improvements to the design. First off, I placed the magnets more toward the center. This has a nice effect of pulling the blade up into the guard better. Here you can see original on the left, and new design on the right.

[​IMG]

I moved to a stronger epoxy glue for the magnets. Adds another step and another material, but it locks the magnets in much better, and more importantly, creates a nice smooth/hard surface over the magnets for the blade to glide on as it travels in/out. I also switched the finish to Tung oil - it is more durable and I feel shows the grain better on bamboo.

[​IMG]

If anyone would like one of these please send me PM on the forum, or email exyzzy at gmail dot com. After I confirm the order, you can paypal. I now have all supplies on hand so subject to other orders already in the queue and my day job I should be able to ship within a few days. I will build them in order.

Price is $40 paypal which includes fully assembled Kiridashi Guard, shipped CONUS via USPS priority flat rate. Let me know if you are intl and I will figure out price delta. Thanks.

16. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Thats pretty neat right there. Don't need one, but I'm impressed with the solution. I've never bought a Kirdashi because I've never been able to square what to do with one. Maybe a marking knife. Looks like the marking knife I made myself once.

17. .357gus

.357gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    :thumbup: Put me down for one please! PM sent.

18. kevy

kevy

Jul 3, 2015
    very very cool

19. kevy

kevy

Jul 3, 2015
    i'm in for one

20. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Very cool. I would love to see a double rib at the bottom, covering the tip.