Old Bone Knives

You guys often post some neat old bone handle knives, so I thought I'd toss my three out. They're no gems, but does someone know how old they are? The tipped pen knife is stamped ULSTER over KNIFE over CO. The Smooth Barlow is a pattern 2139 Cattaraugus with swelled ends. The last one is a Shapleigh Hardware and what the heck would you call this pattern, a half whittler? All have half stops and great snap. Each knife has both blades stamped.

Thanks!

I love those knives, thawk. Good ones!

I look at them and I see a liers circle around a pot belly stove in an old country store someplace. There would be fine wood shavings on the floor, and a coffee pot on the old iron stove, and maybe a 12 year old boy sitting on an up ended crate listening wide eyed to the wisdom being exchanged there. Maybe learning some things his mama would'nt want him to know, but valuble knowledge none the less. There would be pipe smoke in the air, and a bottle of Applejack to "sweeten up" the coffee a wee bit.

If those knives could talk, what stories they could tell...

The left hand knife, with the shield is a wharncliffe pen, IMO. The tapered serpentine shape is distinctive of Wharncliffe's design.
Nice group of old bones!! The Ulster pen is in particularly nice shape from here!

I feel like I'm in that liars' circle jacknife, the detail man, trying to get some soul! God I love this place!!

They all get a little light use and taken to work on occasion. Now if I could just find a local Whittle and Spit Club to join, they'd feel right at home.

I was once the 12 year old in the 60's, it was a little gathering at the appliance store downtown on Saturday morning with my dad's group. They would sit around, discuss Friday nights game, play cribbage, swap stories, and talk fishing. Jokes weren't dirty enough to tell to the neighborhood gang.

No knifers or apple jack in that bunch. I think that crowd hung out at the gas station down by the grain elevator. There was a stack of Rogue and Sir magazines. They talked about old cars, told stories about the sailors wife that lived south of the tracks, and what happened at the pool hall on Friday night, after the game. Their jokes were better too.

Back