Old Friend Passed away

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
motorcyle accident took the life of my first friend. Knew him since we were about knee-high and were best friends up through high-school. We drifted apart and he got into some drugs and I went my own way. It was a shock to hear. I hadn't been in touch with him in a bit. Last time I saw him was when I got gas at my hometown after duck hunting. He wasn't the same person I knew -- the meth had taken care of that.

Supposedly he was 71 days straight until his accident yesterday. His name was Jeff and he was 26.

I'm not sure quite how to deal with this so thanks for putting up with the ramblings. A good friend of mine, and the best man for my wedding coming in June broke the news to me and we just talked about some of the "old times" and shed some tears.

Anyway, going to stay busy with work here, and trying to figure out a variable control set-up at home.

Thats a real shame, sounds like the drugs had already taken him away from you, but it also sounds like he was trying to clean his act up. Damn shame when somebody is willing to work at it and doesn't get the chance.
Hang in there

Thanks for sharing. Just take from it what you can and pass your knowledge on. May help someone you know right now.....

Sorry to hear about your loss, I had a childhood friend who was a heroin addict so I know your pain.

Pull out some old photos, call up and talk to a mutual friend, I'm sure they could use someone to talk to to.

That's rough Michael. It took me a few years to get over the death of my dearest friend in the world. He had drifted over to the dark side and was shot about 95 times by the police. I always felt guilty about not being there to stop it from happening.

Sorry to hear of your loss Michael. It's a real shame how drugs can tear a relationship apart. I know first hand how drugs affect family and friends. I loss my brother at a young age of 47 to a herion overdose. He struggled with drug and alcohol abuse for over thirty years and it finally took his life. Hang in there.
Scott

Bad part about drugs is you loose them before there really gone.
Keep your head high Michael.

I'm getting up there enough to have seen it more than once :(
it don't get easier but I understand it more now,,
a buddy I hung with
has bone Cancer right now they have him cut from stem to stern replacing
leg and pelvic bone :( drinking is the only thing that keeps him
going I think, but in turn, I think the drinking got him there.
hang in there Mike he'll be in a better place when the all mighty is ready for him...

Drugs took the life of my friend also, but in another manner... He was killed by a drunk driver. Either way, the loss is devastating. It seems like you have a good group of support here. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Michael nothing can make up the loss of a friend or beloved family member, but time. When you think about your friend remember that he was getting his life back when he passed, and he probably had some of the best times in his life those last 71 days. His life wasn't wasted and he was still the friend you knew.

Life has a way of reminding us of our mortality. My best friend from childhood was killed on a boy scout campout - fell out of a tree. Joel and I used to compete to see who could climb the highest in the neighborhood, then we moved away. A few months later, he was gone. That was a shock for a sixth-grade kid to hear. Nothing can prepare you for something like that but it will continue throughout our lives. Some people just achieve their purpose on earth sooner than others.

That's why I'm so lazy! I figure the longer I can put off doing whatever it is I'm supposed to do, the longer I'll get to hang out being lazy. ;)

Back