Old handcrafted Oriental Knife

Rusty Crudd

Gold Member
Hello,

I came across this knife in a pawn shop and bought it
The blade is concave opposite of the side that is signed and it razor sharp
Any idea of what it is worth?

Does anyone know what writing says on the blade?
09ICMdb.jpg
[/IMG]
Ledm9Jt.jpg
[/IMG]
2rI79oE.jpg
[/IMG]
HBbjw7L.jpg
[/IMG]
iGtOSP8.jpg
[/IMG]
6qs3I2N.jpg
[/IMG]
g28yYbU.jpg
[/IMG]
CO1OoZw.jpg
[/IMG]
NJTDLYG.jpg
[/IMG]
T3o2D9P.jpg
[/IMG]
GnaIgCo.jpg
[/IMG]

It might be a commercial MIT Mor knife. Perhaps someone can help us translate this. What is the overall length on the knife?

n2s

It looks like one of those knives that were advertised in pulp magazines and the back pages of gun magazines.

The first and seventh kanji characters are extremely stylized, ie; damn difficult to make out.
But my best guess would be:
Masa Mune Ni Ju San Dai Sada Hiro Saku 正宗 二十三代 定廣 作
23rd Generation Masamune Made by Sadahiro
The Kanji for Sada on the blade is no longer in use and in fact I can not even type it here. It would be a combination of 糸 and 定.

The authenticity of the engraving is highly questionable. There is in fact a swordsmith/knife maker, a recognized decendant of Masamune,
who is the 24th generation who marks his blades Tsunahiro 綱廣. His works can be seen here:

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/masamune24/

That is a very unusual looking knife, is that a single bevel blade? What is that bolster material? Is it buffalo horn? Does that handle look like real stag? And that pommel looks like it came off some European carving knife. Did it come with a sheath?
Unable to even guess the actual maker much less value.

that pommel looks like it came off some European carving knife.
+1 Definitely looks like a carving knife handle like regularly posted in Bernards Levines Forum. Looks like 3 unrelated parts put together to make a knife.

You might be able to ID the blade? Looks like a bushcraft type blade- Is that style blade even Japanese?

Last edited:
Definitely a reused carving knife handle, this one works some. Most get reused on knives that are way too heavy and thick.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but this looks like someone just put bunch of random parts together.

+1 Definitely looks like a carving knife handle like regularly posted in Bernards Levines Forum. Looks like 3 unrelated parts put together to make a knife.

You might be able to ID the blade? Looks like a bushcraft type blade- Is that style blade even Japanese?

No that's not a Japanese styled blade. But, if it's single bevel and flat on the other side, it may be. The more I look at those photos the more it seems like parts of different knives put together. Sort of like Frankenstein I guess.

Two more questions:

1. Has the blade ever been sharpened?
2. Has the blade been chrome plated?

n2s

The first and seventh kanji characters are extremely stylized, ie; damn difficult to make out.
The Kanji for Sada on the blade is no longer in use and in fact I can not even type it here. It would be a combination of 糸 and 定.

The authenticity of the engraving is highly questionable. There is in fact a swordsmith/knife maker, a recognized decendant of Masamune,
who is the 24th generation who marks his blades Tsunahiro 綱廣. His works can be seen here:

That is a very unusual looking knife, is that a single bevel blade? What is that bolster material? Is it buffalo horn? Does that handle look like real stag? And that pommel looks like it came off some European carving knife. Did it come with a sheath?

Hello,
This is a single bevel blade. The handle is real stag. The bolster is buffalo horn and the pommel is silver. Here are some better pictures of the inscription.

iC4pwI8l.jpg
[/IMG]
ua2j5Spl.jpg
[/IMG]
XOfRgjsl.jpg
[/IMG]
rG7zIPDl.jpg
[/IMG]
lkyohf9l.jpg
[/IMG]

It did not have a sheath.

Back