Old Hickory Mods

Have you modded an OH knife? Let' see it!

This started off as an 8" slicer. I popped off the handle scales and epoxied them back on, so it is pretty bombproof. I am finally going to make a decent sheath for it.
IMG-2022-12-06-15-15-11-113-2.jpg

Nice, I like that style. These are fun to mod, I‘ve done several.

Going for a Puukko like feel:

More Kephart-ish. A work in progress, not satisfied with the blade yet.
It took over a month, but I knew there were more out there! Thanks for your reply!
Do you find the steel on Old Hickory to be very soft? That is my experience with mine. It is much easier to shape than a Mora. I suppose it is a kitchen knife meant to be sharpened on a steel before every use.

They are a bit on the soft side. Makes the mods easier, so that’s the up side, lol. Not a problem for me, they take a great edge and hold it satisfactory for most of my uses.

They are a bit on the soft side. Makes the mods easier, so that’s the up side, lol. Not a problem for me, they take a great edge and hold it satisfactory for most of my uses.
Yeah, I did mine by hand, so I appreciated the softness. As long as you have some way to touch up the edge, the lack of retention is no problem.

I’ve done a couple threads on some I’ve refurbished and rehandled some have slight profile alterations. I have one more cleaver I’m working on soon and I think I’ll have a decent set.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-couple-more-old-hickory-knives.1869854/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/my-turn-to-rehandle-some-old-hickory-knives-done.1771358/
Your threads were inspiration to tinker with some Ontario knives. so I recently purchased the outdoor hunting knife and have blued it. I’m working on the scales now but hoping to have some photos when I’m finished. I’m not doing anything revolutionary but hoping it encourages people to post pictures of the Ontario knives they have modified.

I’ve done quite a few of these mods, mostly using vintage blades I picked up for cheap. They seem to be getting harder to find now in the thrift stores and such. Yes the steel is soft so they lose their edge quickly. But it also doesn’t take much to get them wicked sharp again!

Here’s one with desert ironwood scales:

8608-BB4-E-B093-4-DFE-8-C3-F-0-A2-B4026-E1-B5.jpg

The “Pacific paring” model is one of the few I’ve bought new to play with. I did a few with scales made from dymondwood, like this one:

2223-BD21-71-FC-48-E6-B230-C2-EEF2-ED97-B3.jpg

I’ve done quite a few of these mods, mostly using vintage blades I picked up for cheap. They seem to be getting harder to find now in the thrift stores and such. Yes the steel is soft so they lose their edge quickly. But it also doesn’t take much to get them wicked sharp again!

Here’s one with desert ironwood scales:

8608-BB4-E-B093-4-DFE-8-C3-F-0-A2-B4026-E1-B5.jpg

The “Pacific paring” model is one of the few I’ve bought new to play with. I did a few with scales made from dymondwood, like this one:

2223-BD21-71-FC-48-E6-B230-C2-EEF2-ED97-B3.jpg
I really like the desert ironwood. They may be an option I try. We have a local flea market in the summer where you can usually find a lot of old knives to mod really cheap.

My Old Hickory paring knife had a handle that was too small for my liking, so I replaced it with osage sized and shaped for my hand
PSDWdzl.jpeg

VC64GqI.jpeg

OZUyLgF.jpg

Last edited:
I like the shape, might have to convert one of mine. Looks like you sealed the jute wraps, if so what did you use?

Back