Old Hickory Small Game and Fish Knife (Kephart)

Fixall

Brian
Dealer / Materials Provider
I haven't seen any threads about this newer release, so I thought I'd kick it off.

I've had mine for a week or so now and it seems like another winner, just like last year's 5.5" Hunting Knife. I do wish they would have stuck with 1095 instead of switching to 1075 though. The price was also about $7 or $8 more than I paid for the 5.5" Hunting Knife, but I think that knife was really under-priced and I think ~$30 for the Kephart is fair. The sheath is the same quality as the sheath that comes with the Hunting Knife, that is to say... It's ok. Not bad, not great. The handle on the Kephart has a bit better fit and finish than the handle on the Hunting knife, but neither are super great.

I'm currently making some new handles for both the Kephart and the Hunting knife so these will be the only pics I can take for awhile.

RmK1Mwy.jpg

kQvnknK.jpg

16AknFK.jpg

2YtWIxS.jpg

Just when I got a 5.5"! It sure looks like the additional cost reflects the extra labor put into modifying the knife, a bargain really!

I got mine this week, and had to smooth up the spine with a diamond stone (I know it’s a $30 knife, but wow it was rough). The scales are really dry, but that’s no biggie, I plan on sanding them and brushing on some linseed oil. Overall I like it, and will definitely be using it outdoors. Already took it fishing this morning.

I really enjoy these Old Hickory knives. I don’t mind the rough finishing, and actually the soft heat treat makes steeling these knives a breeze.

My biggest issue is the rivets. They are incredibly easy to loosen. It would be awesome if they used Chicago screws or similar.

That said, I continue to purchase and use them. They work great!

I really enjoy these Old Hickory knives. I don’t mind the rough finishing, and actually the soft heat treat makes steeling these knives a breeze.

My biggest issue is the rivets. They are incredibly easy to loosen. It would be awesome if they used Chicago screws or similar.

Yep they work, for 1/4 the price of their main out doorsy knife as well! I had a pack of old hickory knives but my "Evil" (hey they are called evil by tradition!) step mother snatched it. My old man replaced his very very old Old Hickery he uses on deer with the "new one" that is the same length one from that package. My Cerberus or one of them slipped in to my woodsy crafty line up. Really I keep getting way to many knives, and most are OKC, but gravitated to CS for folders due to superior locking mechanism. I'm still kicking myself for giving my brother my RD 4, best deer processing knife in the family. And the TFI but well I did give him the choice for X-mass. My Cerberus is a good old pattern trapping knife some one said around here. Nice light and well cost as much as the OKC main woodsy crafty knife though, but well, I like it better.

Reactions: vba

I’d like to rehandle this one, but preferably in micarta, and my only experience with a project like that is with natural materials, so I guess I’m gonna use it as is for now.

I haven't seen any threads about this newer release, so I thought I'd kick it off.

I've had mine for a week or so now and it seems like another winner, just like last year's 5.5" Hunting Knife. I do wish they would have stuck with 1095 instead of switching to 1075 though. The price was also about $7 or $8 more than I paid for the 5.5" Hunting Knife, but I think that knife was really under-priced and I think ~$30 for the Kephart is fair. The sheath is the same quality as the sheath that comes with the Hunting Knife, that is to say... It's ok. Not bad, not great. The handle on the Kephart has a bit better fit and finish than the handle on the Hunting knife, but neither are super great.

I'm currently making some new handles for both the Kephart and the Hunting knife so these will be the only pics I can take for awhile.

RmK1Mwy.jpg

kQvnknK.jpg

16AknFK.jpg

2YtWIxS.jpg

I spent yesterday afternoon doing some light sanding on the scales, brushed on several coats of BLO, but I didn’t buy it to win any beauty contests. I really like the design, and I’m sure it will be a great outdoors knife.

Last edited:
Just got mine in the mail. Needs a little work.

1075 should be OK. I plan on removing the rivets and taking off the handles, epoxying them back on, then soaking the handle in some boiled linseed oil.

Edge needs some work, as does the spine. Easy work with modern ceramics, diamond, or even a carbide sharpener down the length of the spine.

Sheath is Chinese, but with some good leather dressing should be OK. If not, I'll just stitch up another one.

Got home with mine, and did the redneck blade sharp test. It was shaving sharp out of the box.

I still like to polish up the edge on a strop, so I did, and I took a carbide sharpener across the top of the blade to smooth out some dings from blanking.

This is a good little knife, and I will take it with me on my trips outside for sure.

One thing I don't like about this knife (I have two now). The tip bends really easily. I know the stock is thin and with the taper you need to be careful with the point, but the ends of these things bend and stay bend about 3/8 of an inch away from the point with only moderate lateral pressure. I don't mind flex, but it should return to true. Methinks the heat treat is way too soft.

Still, at the price point, it's tough to beat with the thin stick ... so slicey!

Back