Kershaw Old Kershaw 1050 missing tension bar - need pointers to get her on her feet again.

I actually have 2 of these. They are really nice knives, good solid and sturdy feel to them. The problem is they are both missing their tension bars (the spring that pushes the lock into place).

I have tried to fabricate one myself but I cannot work out how it is meant to fit in there. It slots into the back of the knife alright but I cannot see how it slots into the front. I did make one that went all the way to the front and under the blade but that stopped the blade from closing all the way.

Maybe one of you folks knows how this is meant to work or even has a Kershaw 1050 of similar to use as a reference.

I have even asked Kershaw if they could supply me with a schematic of the knife but of course they said they couldn't do it (fair enough). And it is not covered under the limited lifetime warranty (covers lifetime of the first owner only).

I have taken a bunch of images to make life easier. The first one illustrates how I think the mechanism roughly looks (I cannot give it exactly without taking the thing apart).

https://imgur.com/SnEPq21
gallery https://imgur.com/a/dzb5u

Hope you can figure it out. Those are great knives - would be nice to see it back in service. Might try contacting one of the knifemakers here on BF to see if they can fix it for you.

Hope you can figure it out. Those are great knives - would be nice to see it back in service. Might try contacting one of the knifemakers here on BF to see if they can fix it for you.

Thanks Roamad. Well unfortunately I have been unable to get any insights from forums or Google regarding these knives.

I am thinking about attempting to knock the pins (not sure of their name) out of one with a hammer so I can disassemble and work out what's going on. Maybe then I can fabricate a torsion bar. The pins are brass though and I am almost certain something will get marked or damaged during the process. I am an amateur at best. Wish me luck!

Good Day Zanzu

I see this thread is cold, but I have the same problem and am very intersted to hear if you ever got the 1050 figured out?

Kind Regards
Johan

Back