Old Machines!

A.McPherson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Im on vacation up in MI this week and we went to Greenfield Village at the Henry Ford museum.

Man that place is an old machine fan’s paradise!! If you have the chance, you should check it out. I didn’t take many photos, but here’s one of a drill press, and the lady who puts up with my nonsense!

pgYXWHt.jpg

For reference, she’s 5’...

Now THAT is a drill press!!!!!!
Exactly what I was thinking. I'd like to say the lady has an expression on her face that says "not sure why anybody would be interested, but here it is". Nice looking lady

Yeah I think so too! Believe it or not she’s the one who said “hey you should take a picture and show it to those guys on that forum thing you’re always on”! Lol!

I love old machine shop tools. Every smithy should have a couple to remind us how it was done before electric power.
That was the day when the power in power-tools was man-power.

Very cool! I haven't been there in a few years but it reminds of when I'd take my kids there when they were growing up. Do they still have a blacksmith shop?

They do have a blacksmith shop but it wasn’t in use when I was there. It looked like I nice shop, I hope they still have someone demonstrating there!

Wish modern tools had that style. There is a reason why people try to turn them into furniture. I'm sure it was a effective piece of equipment in it's time but they didn't just make effective, that thing is almost a sculpture.

Greenfield Village is on my list to see, opposite side of the state from me. We have a local manufacturing history museum that has a steam engine running on compressed air that runs a line of around a dozen machines. I enjoy the sounds and movement, kinda like watching a campfire.

Greenfield has nearly a half dozen machine shops in it, most (if not all) of them run off an overhead shaft.
It’s super awesome!

Back