Old School SAKS

ScottK

Gold Member
Platinum Member
I couldn't help it. I’ve been modifying SAKS for years, it started with simply removing the red plastic handles and adding bone or wood handles. Then it advanced to increasingly more complex updates with exotic handle materials, etc. Now my modification challenges have advanced to what I am calling Old School Mods. What are Old School Mods? Simply put, it’s a complete disassembly and rebuild of the SAK with non standard components. I had some great old vintage jigged bone handle material, some nickel sliver for bolsters.

So after much thought I stripped down a couple of Vic Recruits, I completely disassembled them and then applied the jigged bone handles (pinned on) and then put the NS bolster on and pinned them back together.

The for my next project I took a 2002 Victorinox Soldier and taken it Old School. I removed those ALOX handles and added nickel silver liners and some neat Queen Golden Root bone. The end result is a nice tough scout knife.

What do you think?

Merry Christmas,
Scott
"Knifecoop"

Those look great. I consider myself a tinkerer, but have never done any projects such as that. On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult would rate such a project. Meaning replacing the scales with some other material.

Keep in mind this is not a beginners project. It requires power tools (belt grinder, drill press, buffer, dremel) and fabrication work (liners, bolsters, scales, and pins). I would rate this project as a 6 considering you have to completely disassemble the knife and make the liners (on the soldier). If you were to make the blades and backsprings & heat treat them the project would be a 10.
Thanks!
Scott

Great work Scott! I would be proud to own one of your modified Vic's....do you ever sell them or take in outside work?

I've used a dremel to remove the keyring nub and I reshaped the can opener to function solely as a flat/phillips screwdriver. I'd like to disassemble
a Tinker or Spartan SAK and TRY to fit it with the phillips from the explorer.
Question: how do they reassemble?? Thank you very much for any information along this line.

Yes, please let us know how they get put back together. I've been wanting to get the juice kf4 and make some stainless steel scales to replace the cheap aluminum ones. Basically i'd have a mini wave then. Would be a good little weekend/going out tool.

Back