Old Schrade 15OT, need info please :)

Aloha! I'm hoping to find some info about a knife I just found in my late grandfather's closet. It's a Schrade-Walden 15OT. The right side of the blade near the handle is stamped "Schrade-Walden N.Y. U.S.A" and the left side is stamped 15OT Pat. Pend.. There is no serial number. I read a bit and saw that they were made in 1964 and later but all the info says there's a serial number. Do any of you know about ones with no serial number? Any info would be great!!
Thanks!

The earliest ones were not serialized. In fact, the earliest did not have the "PAT. PEND." stamp. It was a light etch. Some time shortly after the patent was filed, the stamp was added. Some time after that they began adding serials for warranty control purposes. Due to production quantities, those were discontinued. If the knife has it's original sheath, in whatever condition, that is the surest way to date it to an approximate timeframe. Post a picture and we'll tell you what we can. You have to use an image host like photobucket or tinypic, then post the tags in a post here.

Here is some research I did on the pattern some years back.

[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/352899-15OT-Deerslayer-15UH-ramble?highlight=15OT[/url]

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Unfortunately, there's no sheath. I found in wrapped up in an old shirt with a few small pocket knives. I actually hunt here in Hawaii for deer and pigs and this knife would be perfect for that :) But, if it's of value (other than sentimental) then I'll leave it at home. Do you know if it's really valuable or if they are rare without serials? The knife looks like it's been used a lot...the handle is a reddish-brown plastic on the outside and a lighter color on the inside...it has a plate that says old timer in outlined letters. The blade marks apperar stamped, not etched. Thanks again for any info!!

Once the knife has been used (as was intended by the maker and original owner), it will never be new again. The knives of that pattern which bring the most money from collectors are as-new, in the original box with original papers and sharpening stone. I would say use it. They are uncommon, but not rare, certainly not rare in used condition. You can likely find a new sheath for it on eBay or have someone make one for you. One of our members (appropriately named "sheathmaker"), Paul Long from Texas should still have the pattern from when he made me a sheath for one of mine. It has hornback alligator skin insets and a doeskin lining. He can be found in the sheath making forum. Congrats on finding your heirloom Schrade!

Thanks from me too Codger. Great info.
Now that I know it came out in '64, the year I was hatched, I need one more than before.

I picked this up at a auction a few weeks ago. No serial number.
The earliest ones were not serialized. In fact, the earliest did not have the "PAT. PEND." stamp. It was a light etch. Some time shortly after the patent was filed, the stamp was added. Some time after that they began adding serials for warranty control purposes. Due to production quantities, those were discontinued. If the knife has it's original sheath, in whatever condition, that is the surest way to date it to an approximate timeframe. Post a picture and we'll tell you what we can. You have to use an image host like photobucket or tinypic, then post the tags in a post here.

Here is some research I did on the pattern some years back.

[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/352899-15OT-Deerslayer-15UH-ramble?highlight=15OT[/url]

Back