Old style voyager question

Yes, a lockback has that vertical flex. Usually isn't a problem, but if you cut something hard you'll notice it. The Triad does not have that flex.

Yes, this happens on all brands of traditional-styled lockback knives.

It doesn't happen with the Tri-Ad Lock because of the stop pin.

I have an old voyager with the plastic pocket clip and its lock has just a hair of give to it. Then it stops. Its the 3" blade model and i got it in the late 90's. Used. If i could measure the play i'd reckon it to be .002"-.004". Never affected the performance for me though.

Edit. But in all fairness, every lockback i own has just a barely perceiveable amount of this play so i wouldn't be concerned.

Yep. Nature of the beast.

I Miss the classic Voyagers. The new "improvements" ruined them. Its like when they remade the VW Beetle. Not even remotely the same thing, so why call it that? Bring back the previous generation style, with the only change being the triad lock.

I Miss the classic Voyagers. The new "improvements" ruined them. Its like when they remade the VW Beetle. Not even remotely the same thing, so why call it that? Bring back the previous generation style, with the only change being the triad lock.

Bold = I disagree...yes, keep the triad lock but to also include a single finger groove to keep the forefinger from slipping up and onto the blade. Keep the general profile of the original handle though....that sweeping arc design was much nicer.

Given the extra material put in to make the tri-ad lock work I'm not sure they could do it in the pure Zytel handles of the old style Voyagers. It works in the Tuff Lite because there's not much to it, but the 6" blade of the X2 might prove a bit tough without the inserts we get in the new model Voyager.

Cool. Keep the inserts if needed. Just do away with the awkward, limiting, grip shape.

I hate handles that force your hand into one specific position, rather than letting you choose for yourself.

(I do still like my Voyager. Just liked the old ones more).

Cool. Keep the inserts if needed. Just do away with the awkward, limiting, grip shape.

I hate handles that force your hand into one specific position, rather than letting you choose for yourself.

(I do still like my Voyager. Just liked the old ones more).

Agreed. With over 200 different models of knives in their inventory, there's no reason why their design team can't redesign the old handle with new eyes.

The shape of the old handle was [almost] perfect. I know, I had one and gave it to my nephew when he came of age. I should have bought another but I didn't.

If they have to redesign it with inserts...or even use a pillar design to reinforce it, so be it......but bring back the previous style and add a single finger groove for the index finger.

I think at present we can wish in one hand and spit in other and see which fill up fastest. My mother used to tell me that when I wanted something she didn't approve of . Like more and bigger knives .

I grabbed some off e bay even got a couple NOS vaqueros with the 6" blade One came with a belt sheath instead of a pocket clip.

I also prefer the old style handle. The new handle is okay, but way too aggressive. I just don't think one should have to sand a handle to make it useable. At least make a new mold that is smoother under the clip.

I couldn't agree more. I have two medium 3 inch classics as well as a new model 3 inch. The new model would probably stand up to hard use better but I prefer the light weight and slim profile of the classic.

To Cold Steel's credit they have cut corners, ensuring that the cost of the knives stay down and the quality and performance stay okay, but they've nixed the polished blades, taken the steel from AUS8A up a notch to VG-1, then, inexplicably, back down to AUS8A. (If you write or email the company and ask why, you'll get no response. The word is mum.) I have no complaints about the new Voyagers as the quality and heat treat of the AUS8A steel remains exceptional, but there's no pizzazz to the knife anymore. I'd rather have the previous knife with the VG-1 steel than the new knife, but when you can get a knife with a 5.5-inch blade for $38 with the new lock, I'm not going to complain! The older Voyagers with the polished AUS8A blades, cost me $40, so the prices are cheap now and arguably significantly superior. They're just not as purty.

In my knife box, I have a CRKT M21-04 that is an inferior knife in strength and blade heat treat to the Voyager. With its aluminum frame, it's even heavier. But it's a much nicer knife on the eyes and is more expensive. Yet the Voyager “Large“ knife is lighter, stronger and has a blade with a better heat treat. Fortunately, I have some of the Old and the new. (I even ordered three of the discontinued Rajah I folders when they were only a hundred bucks apiece! And I wish I'd bought more, but I was lucky to grab them.) So you go through life and grab what you can.

I would buy the "classic" version ESPECIALLY if they made it in 1070, 1090 or 5160 steels.....but I hate the new handles.

Back