"Old Timer" Barlow

rprocter

BANNED
It is my understanding that Schrade began the "Old Timer" line in 1958-59 with the 8OT.
Here is an Ulster USA Barlow, marked "Old Timer" on the bolsters, brass linings, plastic handle (Delrin or ??):

Jan2012001-8.jpg

Jan2012002-6.jpg

Jan2012003-4.jpg

So, which came first, this "Old Timer" Barlow or the first use of "Old Timer" by Schrade-Walden ?
As Albert Baer owned both these companies, it would make sense that once he launched the Schrade Old Timer line, he would not have wanted to confuse consumers by using the "Old Timer" branding on any knives other than the Schrades. But this is conjecture. Anyone know the facts ?
roland

So, which came first, this "Old Timer" Barlow or the first use of "Old Timer" by Schrade-Walden? Anyone know the facts ?
roland

The Schrade Walden 2OT came first in 1959. The Ulster 58OT stockman came out in 1960.

"The Old Timer line started by Schrade-Walden in 1959 with a bone handled, Barlow styled knife, tang stamped, 2OT with OLD TIMER stamped across the bottom bolster. Early in 1960 the bone handled 8OT was added to the line. Later that year the ULSTER 58OT was made available followed in 1961 year by the ULSTER 50OT. In 1962 Schrade added the 108OT and ULSTER added both the 10OT and the 12OT. Both the 50OT and 12OT were only available for 1 or 2 years. The next change to the Old Timers line was in 1964 with the addition of the Schrade 15OT and 34OT. No other Ulster OT’s were added, except for the special 114OT in 1968. By the late 60’s Schrade had made the decision to close down the Ulster line and focus on the Schrade-Walden brand name."

Source is lrv www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/Ulster.pdf

Your knife is a 10OT likely from the "Prince Albert" tobacco promotion that began in 1968. It could be from as far back as 1962 though.

"In 1968 Reynolds’ ordered 3 Ulster pattern knives from Schrade Walden specifying the Old Timer name brand. 2 of the knives were already being produced under the Ulster name the 3rd was a new OT pattern Camper/Utility knife using the existing Ulster 114 pattern. They were each given an internal company number, 4507 to the 114 OT-Reynolds, 4508 to the 10 OT-Reynolds and 4509 was assigned to the 58 OT-Reynolds. As with the other Old Timers the difference between the normal pattern and the OT was that the OT came with a brass liner where the standard pattern was steel."

Last edited:
Hey Dave, thanks ! Great info review. Since my knife has brass liners then it should be from the Prince Albert series, if i am correctly understanding your final sentence ?
roland

No sweat roland. Actually I think it means your knife is an Ulster "Old Timer" barlow as opposed to a normal Ulster or Schrade open stock barlow.

The article was written by Larry V not me though. Perhaps he will chime in to clarify this.

Q: Why must that Barlow pattern 10OT example necessarily be from the Prince Albert Series?...more like the existing pattern 10OT Barlow pattern made by Ulster was included in the three knife Prince Albert series offers.....I have a mint 6 pack of original Ulster 10OT's in their original Ulster retail box that had nothing to do with the Prince Albert Series.<none of the knives have even been opened since manufacture>...I originally acquired them some years ago from a Mid West Fishing shop that had been long closed up. A popular Ulster pattern in their own right. Dave are you suggesting I should check if they have brass or steel liners? Hoo Roo

Q: Why must that Barlow pattern 10OT example necessarily be from the Prince Albert Series?...more like the existing pattern 10OT Barlow pattern made by Ulster was included in the three knife Prince Albert series offers.....I have a mint 6 pack of original Ulster 10OT's in their original Ulster retail box that had nothing to do with the Prince Albert Series.<none of the knives have even been opened since manufacture>...I originally acquired them some years ago from a Mid West Fishing shop that had been long closed up. A popular Ulster pattern in their own right. Dave are you suggesting I should check if they have brass or steel liners? Hoo Roo

My "likely from" comment was just a guess Larry as they were indeed "A popular Ulster pattern in their own right." roland's could be as old as 1962 as I mentioned. I just know a whole lot of these got distributed through this tobacco cheap-good-knife program. How many Ulster's sold from 1962 to 1968 versus Ulster-Reynolds from 1968 to 1973? I have no idea what the actual numbers were :confused:. No reason to believe yours are not Ulster "Old Timers" but if you wanted to check a liner or two for roland I am sure he would appreciate the confirmation!

Last edited:
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ULSTER/pages/UK-63-1A.htm

As late as 1967, the Ulster 10 and Ulster 12 Barlow patterns were still in production. As was the 10OT Barlow. Same frames with different bolster marks, similar blades, of course the 12 had a sheepsfoot instead of a clip. Is there a 12OT? If so it was as short lived as the 50OT.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/PrinceAlbert.pdf
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/Ulster.pdf

Good info on the Prince Albert story. It appears that started in 1968?

Reading those links, Larry V.'s research shows that The Ulster 10OT(the knife i posted above) was first made in 1964, 5 years after Schrade-Walden began the "Old Timer" line with the 2OT. These Ulster 10OT's were made with steel liners.
Beginning in 1968 and going through until 1974, the Prince Albert tobacco offered the 10OT but they were a special order as they were made with brass liners.
My 10OT posted above has brass liners so it is one of the Prince Albert knives (most likely, we know exceptions are everywhere) and was from '68-'74.
Thanks to all, esp. Larry Vickery.
roland

Is there a 12OT?

According to the various Old Timer lists there's supposed to be one. But I don't have one, and don't recall ever seeing one.

Interesting about the brass and steel liners on the 10OT. Makes me curious enough to go upstairs and see which I have... and to start a quest for the other.

Refer Ebay item 221060267398 sold. I sold both 10OT and the 12OT patterns made by Ulster a few months ago in the same listing.....nearest thing you will get to Old Timer 12OT..same pattern, same maker, different stamping.....I know lrv has a 12OT Old Timer so they do exist.......Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Refer Ebay item 221060267398 sold. I sold both 10OT and the 12OT patterns made by Ulster a few months ago in the same listing.....nearest thing you will get to Old Timer 12OT..same pattern, same maker, different stamping.....

The Ulster flyer shows a 12OT for sure. Too bad the second knife wasn't an actual Old Timer.

I know lrv has a 12OT Old Timer so they do exist.......Hoo Roo

My search continues...

------------

My Ulster 10OT has brass liners, as does the Craftsman "Old Crafty" Barlow. So I need to keep an eye out for a steel lined version.

------------------------

112 knives in the Old Timer Collection, and still so many gaps. :(

All the Reynolds offered knives were from existing Ulster knife stock patterns. Both the 10 and 12 were existing Barlow before they were offered as Old Timers. The 110 was the only one relabeled as an Old Timer for the Reynolds order. As for order of the Old Timers. The Schrade Walden (S/W) 2Ot was offered in 59. The S/W 8OT and the Ulster 58OT in 1960 followed by the 61 Ulster 50OT and the 62/3 10OT and 12OT, and S/W 61 108OT and 15 OT. And the list goes crazy from there.
But both Ulster and S/W OT were in production at the same time.
I'll dig out my 12OT and the 10's but as I remember all had brass liners.

Last edited:
Are all of the Ulster Barlows with "Old Timer/Barlow" on the bolsters, Prince Albert knives ? Or, was the same knife for sale elsewhere ?
What this thread has emphasized to me is that "Old Timer" is not a 100% Schrade term, it includes a number of "Ulster" branded knives as well.
roland

Yes and no.. the Ulster 10OT ,12OT barlow's were sold as old Timers long before the Prince Albert orders as was the 58OT. Both the 10OT and 58OT were still in production when the order came from Reynolds. The 12OT was not part of the Reynolds order.
The 110 was the only "special" added to the Prince Albert order as a new Old Timer never offered as an Old time prior to the order.
Since Ulster owned Schrade Walden I believe we can consider them all in the same family.

"Mary gave him a bran-new "Barlow" knife worth twelve and a half cents; and the convulsion of delight that swept his system shook him to his foundations. True, the knife would not cut anything, but it was a "sure-enough" Barlow, and there was inconceivable grandeur in that - though where the Western boys ever got the idea that such a weapon could possibly be counterfeited to its injury, is an imposing mystery and will always remain so, perhaps."
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

"All the stores was along one street. They had white domestic awnings in front, and the country-people hitched their horses to the awning-posts. There was empty dry-goods boxes under the awnings, and loafers roosting on them all day long, whittling them with their Barlow knives; and chawing tobacco, and gaping and yawning and stretching - a mighty ornery lot."
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Last edited:
Thanks. Great info, finally, i now understand this Ulster #10 pattern Barlow & its markings, as well as the Ulster use of the "Old Timer" branding.
I think i have the "Mark Twain" Barlow. If i can find it i will post a picture. I think these are rather rare now.
roland

Sold Ebay Item No: 300784725444 has 12 photos and copy of the flyer and mentions Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer...substantial quality Barlow by Imperial...Hoo Roo

Back