Old Timer Schrade 1580T Fixed Blade Knife

My husband and I just purchased property in southern colorado north of Trinidad. We found this knife on the property, in a leather sheath. It's NOT a guthook and it doesn't match anything we can find on Schrade knives. It's a fixed blade with an oblong metal tag on the handle "Old Timer". The blade is stamped with "Schrade" and "No 1580T" just above the handle.

Does anyone know anything about this knife? It probably goes back to the early 1900's. It wasn't underground, just laying there.

Any information would be very much appreciated!

That model was made in both stainless and carbon right up until Schrade went out of business recently. Is it marked carbon or stainless? That might help narrow it down. Stainless models were made more recently. Perhaps we should move this to the traditional forum?

1) Welcome to BladeForums!
2) Welcome to Trinidad! I live down in Raton, but work in Trinidad. In fact, it's 3 a.m. and I'm headed there right now.

he blade is stamped with "Schrade" and "No 1580T" just above the handle.

Just to clarify, if it's marked Schrade USA, then it was made in 2004 or earlier. If it lacks the "USA" portion of the tang stamp, then it's likely a Chinese import made after 2004.

Its' not obvious from quickly browsing the forum here, but there's a special section for Schrade knife collectors. Look under Manufacturers' Forums - Collectors Forums - Schrade. Really friendly folks down there, and they'll be able to tell you more about your knife, especially if you can post a photo or scan.

By the way, my own Old Timer knife collection, including a 158OT, is on display at the Raton Scouting Museum on First Street. They don't maintain regular hours in the winter, but if give them a call, they'd be happy to schedule a visit.

Welcome to Bladeforums!

Let’s see if we can find the right forum …
attachment.php

do you have pictures of the knife. I suspect and Im just guessing without seeing the pic's it could be one of 2 things either someone has taken it upon them selves to customize this knife and the gut hook some how got cut off or mangled then fixed it or the tang stamp is different some times schrade stamps were wierd like that. does your knife look anything like the ones in this picture and imagine the gut hook was cut off. like I said im just guessing without pic's
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/newOT/pages/158OT.htm

Mrs John

This is the Schrade Forum. You are in the right place. Your thread was moved by one of the moderators.

Thank you for posting. It IS marked with U.S.A. before the model no. But it is NOT the guthook. My husband says the picture posted doesn't look anything like ours. It has no hook. We can't post pictures.

Mrs John,
You should be able to post a picture.
The size of the picture might be an issue. must be less than 100kb to post here. Lots of folks use other places to post a picture and then link to it to get a bigger shot displayed.
If you e-mail a picture to me I'll be glad to post it for you.
email to
lrvickery@comcast.net

I've heard that some people did'nt like the guthook and filed it off.

Actually, a grinder was quicker. The steel was a bit hard to file easily. (The knife was a "gimme" from a hunter I guided, he didn't like it either.) Finally threw it in a box somewhere, the curvature just made it too unpleasant to work with. Decent scabbard though.

Back