Old versus new style

Hey guys,

I am wondering about this "important question" ;) for some thime and I would like to know what you guys think of this:

As some (most) of you guys I started my interest in knives thanks to my grandfather......He used his knife for almost everything and bought me some knives when i was little :)D and i mean LITTLE!!)
Now (almost 15 years later, i have a nice collection of my own and i am never without my trusty pocketknife(Benchmade Griptilian right now).....The Gripty does everything I ask of her and much much more, but i always wonder if it will serve me as good as my grandfathers knife served him :confused:

!!He used and obused his knife hard during 50 years and counting :eek: .......and it still feels solid like a rock!!!!!!
(he bought it in the late 1950's here in Belgium, it was made in Germany and the blade is carbonsteel)

So: I want to know what you guys think about this: Would our knives hold up to thesame use and abuse for such a long long time? :rolleyes: Makes you start thinking, no? :D

See ya, Davy

Hey Fellow Belgian :) ,

I think it just depends on what brand you choose. I think that most decent factory knives (Stryder, Microtech, Benchmade, Spyderco....) are up to the job

I tend to wonder this myself, on occasion. I like to think that all the great knives I'm buying now are of 'long term' quality. I know that the more simple, yet elegant designs, like Titanium frame locks, and lockbacks will hold up. I worry about more complex designs with small metal parts. If something is going to rust, I would rather it be a big beefy part like a blade, or backspring that can be cleaned, not a tiny piece essential for the safe use of the knife (e.g. Axis lock).

After looking through all my knives that I have handy, I believe a majority of them are of the 'long term' quality you are refering to. I may just start using that as a buying guide to assure that my children, and grandchildren will have something to look forward to.

DD

Back