Old Voyager vs New Voyager - Which do you prefer and why?

New Voyager is better
The old one was pop riveted (I have one) So you can't service it.

Otherwise cutting performance and edge retention are quite similar

The older one were priced too high IMO.

Kinda wish the newer ones were thinner (like the older ones), but full liners will do that.

-sh00ter

I like the old one, it is a lot lighter, better VG1 steel, and nice and thin. The new one is a heavy thing with that Triad lock that is hard to open and close, I returned mine.

I like the new ones better and the old style was my main knife for 8 or 9 years. I loved them and the old Spyderco Enduras, but the new Voyagers are better in my opinion and superb bang for buck. For me design and build quality is most important as long as materials are good enough and the new Voyagers are close to perfect for a working/back-up defense folder.

The handle is great with locking into the hand using multiple grips and the thickness is great to work with (thin is better in pocket but thick is better out of pocket). Stark contrast with open-construction, thin liner-locks and frame-locks that are not very good beyond carrying in dress slacks, fondling, or light cutting tasks a few times a day.

The blades are very attractive and FFG Vaqueros I have experience with are real cutting machines. Fit and finish is better than the older versions and as good as any folders I've had but might be luck...

Getting another one soon, probably Large Tanto.

edit to add - For me they are great opening and closing also, quick and secure to open and close with one hand. Can do inertia opening but not as easy as old Voyagers that would just fly out - you could hold an old Voyager in your hand and smack your forearm with your empty hand and get the blade to deploy and lock-up. The new ones are smooth enough that a nice push with the thumb will deploy and lock the blade and to close it you just let the blade tang drop on your index finger when you press the lockbar release, then move it out the way and close the blade with your thumb on the thumb-stud.

Last edited:
What do you think about the handle? What size do you have?

I have the 4 inch Clip serrated

Use to have the plain edge clip as well
There was nothing wrong with the handle. But one day one of my friends used it to cut an orange and never washed it.
The orange juice got in the pivot and got sticky and grimy
It never opened as smooth again

I like the old one, it is a lot lighter, better VG1 steel, and nice and thin. The new one is a heavy thing with that Triad lock that is hard to open and close, I returned mine.

I feel the same way but much more strongly - that the older ones were better. I like the Japanese build and the VG-1 blade done up in a beautiful satin finish. The 4 large Voyagers I bought over the years 2 for myself and 2 gifts, were perfect and priced perfectly the way they were. I had one for over 20 years and took a replacement for a worn out integral clip (built into the handle).

one other thing. The old Voyager did use VG 1 but was more prone to chipping if abused than the new CS folders in general

one other thing. The old Voyager did use VG 1 but was more prone to chipping if abused than the new CS folders in general

Yeah it was, lost teeth left and right off the serration cutting things that shouldn't have damaged the edge IMO (a clamshell pack claimed a few).

-sh00ter

Cold Steel's serrations have been under the gun for low quality and breaking etc. since I can remember. Buy Kershaw & Spyderco for serrated folders. ;)

Know this all too well.
My serrated voyager became a "fancy edge" so to speak.

Had to redo the serrations with a sharpening rod and soap stone on the non sharpened side low angle

Having owned one of each I like the new one better. I have a Med Voyager Tanto in the Triad lock and plan to turn that blade into a Wharncliffe shape. I think it will make it appear shorter but the blade shape will fit into my character profile better than a tanto will. I like the washed finishes better, and I like the Triad of course and find it to be the John "Bones" Jones of the locks in this industry!

STR

I like the Triad of course and find it to be the John "Bones" Jones of the locks in this industry! STR

That lock is the best thing that's happened to CS in decades. In fact AD's influence has really boosted the company all around. ;)

Cold Steel's serrations have been under the gun for low quality and breaking etc. since I can remember. Buy Kershaw & Spyderco for serrated folders. ;)

Oh I know, Spyderco serrations (and Emerson) are the only ones I really like/use anymore.

That lock is the best thing that's happened to CS in decades. In fact AD's influence has really boosted the company all around. ;)

+1

-sh00ter

Do you mean the newest voyagers vs. all order models. I have every different version of voyagers. My favorite is the very first gen1 large plain clip point.

I have a gen 1 extra large clip point Voyager that I bought in 96.It's made from AUS8.I use that knife for my sweat coat knife around the house still to this day.Also have a gen 1 Vaquero Grande(AUS8) that I purchased at the same time.I have no experience with the newer models.

I had a few of the older models in AUS8A and prefer the newer (based on research, haven't handled one yet) for the simple reason of FFG & Triad lock.

I have the older med. and large voyagers. Both came fully serrated ; I ground them into plain edges. I like the handle shape better than the new ones ( simple lines to me look and feel great) but dislike the riveted pivot. It needs to be adjustable. They were over-priced Imho. Vg-1 steel in a plain edge is fine for me.

Back