Old Wave vs New Wave

This topic may have been covered before - if it has, my apologies for bringing it back up. I recently acquired a Leatherman Wave (new verison) and I would like to hear about user's opinions on the differences (good and bad) between the old and new version. Is it worth the difference to try to track down an older version on Ebay or some other website? Thanks for any info.

I have both.
The new wave is bigger & stronger & sits out in my truck just in case. If larger blades are important to you, then this is the one for you.
The large bit driver on the new wave is... ok, but it just doesn't cut it for me. The eyeglass screw driver bit...well it's totally useless IMHO. :jerkit:

The old wave rides on my belt everyday. The array of screw drivers, which at work are sometimes called into service as pry bars, :eek: are indispensable to me. I gotta give the old wave 2 :thumbup::thumbup:

Just my $.02 :)

For starters, the "old" Wave did not have all the tools lock, only the outside blades. Also, the thumbholes are smaller and the knife blades were narrower. For the in-handle tools, the old Wave did not have a bit-holder, but had an excellent pair of scissors.

It might interest you to know that there were actually two versions of the "old" Wave. The first, original production marked "Leatherman USA" on the plier pivot area, and the later production marked "Leatherman Tool" on the pivot area. The notable difference between these two is that the latter model had "tension springs" on the inside of the handles next to the plier head, which reduced handle wobble when the handles were closed. =)

I prefer the older version. It's a little trimmer but the main reason is that I like the Bianchi nylon sheath.

The rattling in the original Waves didn't really bother me.

I sent my wobbly old wave back to leatherman to have a knife blade fixed and it came back with those tensioner springs retro-fitted.

In relation to the new Wave I'd go so far as to say it's a completely different class of tool. With the aforementioned enhancements it becomes too bulky for belt carry for me (YMMV)

This is not an issue for me because I tend to carry it in a pack and don't EDC it. I've modified that horrendous leather sheath with a riveted on, mobile phone style, clip. I clip it on when needed around the house and drawer it otherwise.

Like most things in this world, it's a trade-off. Progress comes at a price. In the case of the New Wave, you get all-locking implements and the option of a couple dozen exchangable bits; the price is a bigger, heavier tool that isn't quite as capable without the add-on bit kit (the two bit-holders on the New Wave take up the same space as three flat screwdrivers and a phillips on the old Wave), and has smaller scissors, too.

I carried an old Wave from the year it came out until the New Wave and Charge were released; my girlfriend bought me the New Wave for Christmas 2004, not knowing that I'd just bought a Charge Ti. The New Wave sits in a drawer — if I wanna go lighter, I carry the old Wave, but most of the time I carry the Charge. The New Wave just doesn't bring much to the table; the Charge is a tad lighter, provides a more secure grip, and has the 154CM blade. Sure, the Charge cost a bit more, but it also came with the pocket clip and extra bits that the New Wave didn't, and of course the far better blade steel. I feel it's actually the better bargain.

To tell the truth, I still think that the old Wave is just about the perfect balance of size, weight and functionality in a multitool. I prefer the Charge for it's flexibility, but also curse it when the bulky sheath catches on something. The old Wave packs an amazing amount of utility into a sleek, compact package.

Of course, if after all that the Wave seems like overbuilt overkill, go check out the Surge! :D

I sent my wobbly old wave back to leatherman to have a knife blade fixed and it came back with those tensioner springs retro-fitted.

In relation to the new Wave I'd go so far as to say it's a completely different class of tool. With the aforementioned enhancements it becomes too bulky for belt carry for me (YMMV)

This is not an issue for me because I tend to carry it in a pack and don't EDC it. I've modified that horrendous leather sheath with a riveted on, mobile phone style, clip. I clip it on when needed around the house and drawer it otherwise.

I did the same thing.Got back the tensioner type.I have one that is NIB for when the time comes when the one I'm carrying breaks.The last time I sent one in(three times)I specifically requested they send me the old style and they did, with the tension springs.The only difference is on the screwdriver "bolsters", on the one I'm carrying now, they are textured. The bolsters on the new one are smooth. Anyone know why they did that?
The only 3 modifications I have done to it is polish the handle to gloss,(looks great), crocused the 2 blades to satin, and most important if you prefer the old style, I took a diamond file and made a nail nick in the large screwdriver blade and the can opener.

I generally prefer the new Wave, with its locking feature and blades that are easier to deploy with one hand.

The old Wave's long, 3-dimensional phillips is much better than the new Wave's flat, short phillips that won't reach deep. At least IMO.

That being said, I've recently been carrying a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit. :thumbup:

the Bianchi nylon sheath

Man, I wish they'd bring those back! I was smart enough to buy a couple when they were available. I can *just barely* get an XTi into one of them. Actually, no problems going in...it's got a definite anti-gravity fit, though, coming out... ;)

I've had both and I preferred the tool selection on the old wave. Whilst the bit holder on the new wave is useful, at times it is too stubby and it can be easy to lose a bit. As previously mentioned, the little screw driver bit is useless. If only all the tools on the old wave locked....

I have an old Wave in the courier bag that I use for a briefcase at work. It was my edc for several years until it got demoted by my Vic Spirit. I like the old Wave's small size and lack of stubby bit drivers.

Mine is a wobbly one without tension springs. Do you think LM would install them if I mailed it in? I don't have a warranty card or anything.

I have an old original leatherman and stepped up to a wave (new style). The bits are too short and the tiny screw driver is a waste for me. I haven't invested in the additional bits and I think there may be an extension to make it longer. Personally, I want an all in one too- not a bunch of pieces. I carry the old one and leave the wave in the truck - horrible sheath on mine.

Which sheath is better for the new Wave; the nylon one or the leather one? And can either be positioned for horizontal belt carry?
Jim

I too have the original-original Wave without the locking bits and without the spring tensioners. I like the longer screwdrivers and the scissors and I flat out love the bianchi holster which I've converted to horizontal carry. I've thought about making a franken-wave by taking the tools out of a fuse and putting them in a new style Charge or Wave, but only if it will fit in my holster.

JNewell, is the tight fit in your bianchi because of the increased thickness of the XTi, increased width or both? Anybody have any measurement comparisons of the old Wave vs. new Wave vs. XTi vs. ALX? The Leatherman site only gives length.

I'd need to double-check but I'm pretty sure it's the width (dimension across) rather than thickness (front to back) in the sheath.

It's workable but tight. Possibly a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun would make it conform a little better - haven't tried.

Thanks JNewell. If I get around to making my franken-wave I'll post the results here.

To go slightly off-topic...

I also love my old Wave. Is there someone around that does upgrades on them? I think the old Wave would be just about perfect if it had knife blades made of a modern super-steel (S30V, VG10, etc.).

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Back