Old Wine, New Bottle!

The "old wine" is a Subhilt by Lamont Coombs which is quite a few years old now ..... it was my first true custom knife ...... and not forged.

Specs:

Blade = 9"
OAL = 14"
Thickness = 1/4"
Steel = ATS -34
Fittings = Stainless
Mirror Finish
24K gold inlayed engraving by Ron Nott.
Handle = Spalted madrone burl.
There is an ostrich leg inlayed sheath (just visible in BLHC)

The "New Bottle" is a different style of image from me ..... just messing around with a more "Still Life" approach than the normal composites.

Cheers,

Stephen

Coombs-chinese-1.jpg

I love the blade profile you used...is the top swedge sharpened, or is it a false edge? And great job with the scrollwork on the handle: it looks great.

A very exquisite looking knife…I love the scrollwork on the three levels…it really brings out the elegance of the knife.

Stephen,
WOW !
KILLER Subhilt. :eek: :D
Love the gold inlaid engraving,definitely takes it up a notch or three.:thumbup:

Doug :)

I love it! Photographers have styles that naturally emerge over time just like knifemakers. This may be yours or at least "on the way" to yours. Beautiful and evocative!

Stephen,

That is an outstanding photograph, one that ANY pro would be proud to have in his portfolio. Reminiscent of the fine work of Jim Weyer, who had (has?) a museum's worth of fine props and the keen eye to utilize other items to fulfill the emotion in displaying a knife.

That's what this photograph offers: an emotional grip on the bright knife, curves and subtleties, and dark historical artifacts. You haven't given quite as much 'information' as insets might offer, but you have made up for it in emotional impact.

I have so few items that can be utilized in this regard that I don't try. I will say that I appreciate and envy those who do this style of photo. You are most envied! (BTW--Mr. Coombs' work is always surprisingly attractive. Very underknown, I'd say.)

Best,

Coop

Sub-hilts are probably my favorite knife-type (if well executed). Some versions are too bulky for my taste, but this Coombs knife looks great! :thumbup:

I like the curvatures in the blade both on the edge and spine sides. The wood looks beautiful in the picture; I'd love to see the details in person. The engraving goes without saying.

The whole package looks classy and elegant. Fabulous knife! (Nice photo composition, too; very well picked. :) )

Back