Older Swiss Army Tool

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A friend at work has one that the lock springs gave way on him so it's a little dangerous to use
So I took this photo and told him to email it to SAK customer service

Old_SwissTool.jpg~original

You guys see much of this happening ?
G2

I'm interested to see how good their warrantee is for something like this .
The reason I am such a Leatherman fan is their outstanding backup of their products .

Ken

I'm interested to see how good their warrantee is for something like this .
The reason I am such a Leatherman fan is their outstanding backup of their products .

Ken

Victorinox's warranty is outstanding. As for those busted individual springs , I've never see that happen before. I'm sure something was defective or something along those lines.

Victorinox's warranty is outstanding. As for those busted individual springs , I've never see that happen before. I'm sure something was defective or something along those lines.

+1 :thumbup:

thanks guys, I'll keep you updated via this thread on how he makes out. I've carried mine for wow, a VERY long time now and a lot of use without having it do anything like that. Although mine is a little newer than his,

mine has a curved serrated blade where his is spearpoint also serrated

mine has scissors, his has a file and metal saw

just a little different is all, plus he sports a nice combo sheath by moi ;) that I made back a VERY long time ago, he has worn it every day, a Maglight nestled up against the Swiss tool, an integral strap that travels over top of the tool and snaps along the leading edge of the sheath. They are a real pain to make, so I don't any more, but it was a good idea at the time...

G2

Any device is bound to have a failure at some point, and from the numbers it seems like Vic tools fail far less than most. But If I had to make a guess, that would be one of most likely points of non-abusive failure. springs just only last so long.
All that said, they are tough tools, and I'm sure he'll get looked after, let us know how the process goes. Its definitely worth getting it fixed.

I have never seen that on SwissTools, but Victorinox customer service has a good reputation.

Well I had my friend give them a call, first call wasn't so keen, they seemed lost and didn't really help much except to say 'not in the system yet' called yesterday, much better response, different person as well, they told him that what they saw now in the system was that they are shipping him a replacement Swiss Army Tool, we'll see how this plays out and what arrives :)
G2

Well he received a BRANDY NEW replacement of the style he had which was pretty cool they still could get one
Shipped his old one back too, no charge!
Nicely done
G2

That's great the took care of their customer like that.

I curious though what caused his initial problem. I've a few Swisstools as well and was looking at one and couldn't see what would break. Is there a hidden spring in there I'm just not seeing?

Over the years it jus kept pushing the back springs back further
G2

Back