Omega springs

A while back -- like, six or seven years ago -- I remember reading a number of posts about broken omega springs. Haven't heard any complaints of late, and I have had no problems whatsoever with my Axis locks (Mini-Rukus, 710, Griptilian). I'd guess the Mini-Rukus and 710 have been cycled several thousand times, while the Grip is relatively new, only a few hundred cycles. What did Benchmade do to address this problem -- did they switch to stainless steel springs?

Not sure there was a problem. Me thinks a lot of the posts here were from haters who wanted to bad mouth omega spring / axis lock / Benchmade.
Just my $0.02.

Yeah, I remember a few posts, but not massive problems. All springs no matter what form have a risk of breaking, but the omegas seem pretty solid. Plus the action and ease of use is just sweet.

Long story short I nicked a spring once w/ a grinder, took half the cross-section. Eventually had it replaced, but it never broke.

I broke one, maybe two over a decade ago. Haven't had a problem since. Don't know if they changed anything or not though.

If the Omega spring were a frequent problem due to the design or a manufacturing/material problem then it would have been changed years ago as frequent warranty problems can be both a reputation and profit killer. Manufacturers with good QA programs track warranty problems and address those which are the commonest if they are in an appreciable percentage of production.

Back