? on Browning Knife that surprised me

Hello all,
Well after a depressing knife year in 2003, 2004 looks like it will be a lot better for me. I finally have an assistanceship again, which means I can afford sharp toys. Anyway, I went down to the local B & M today intending to pick up a Nimravus. All they had in stock was the Cub, which I actually liked enough to purchase, but in so doing saved myself a chunk of change. Like any good knife knut, I immediately searched out new things in the display case on which to spend this unexpected windfall, and came across a Browning skinner. I expected it to be total crap, but it was actually hair popping sharp when I tested it ( one of the nice things about this shop .. that doesn't phase them:)) Anyway, I don't hunt, but I thought it would make a good, reasonably "beater" camp knife. ( Two knives in one day... ahhh knifeknut heaven) So after all that my question is who actually makes Browning's knives for them? This one is stamped model 672, Italy but that's all I know. Thanks for any input anyone has.

Lagarto

Browning sells very effective hunting knives. I say "sells" since they seem to contract out all of the manufacturing. I have a couple of their Japanese manufactured folding knives and they are well made and take a great edge. The blades of the Japanese knives are made of AUS-8 and have a very thin and sharp profile. They are well optimised for hunting. I don't know what the Italian blades are really made of. For years they advertised that their Japanese blades were made from 440C type stainless. They were asserting that AUS-8 was equivalent to 440C. The language that they are using to describe The Italian blades sounds eerily similar.

The AUS-8 alloy gets a lot sharper for me than 440C, but does not hold an edge as long. Whatever they call their alloy, I would bet that they picked one that works well.

Browning knives are pretty good ones. I have four of their japanese made ones, three featherlits and one signature, all very good knives. The finish isn't as good as, say a Buck, but they are still good users.
Jeff's right, they do get very sharp! :eek:

Thanks for the skinny fellas, so should this stand up to the usual camp chores then, cutting steaks/whittling/chopping small sticks/branches for kindling. It acts like it should but I figured someone here would have more experience with them than I do.
Thanks

Lagarto

Back