On E-bay today

Not my stuff on E-bay, so I think I'm allowed to mention a couple of current auctions of HI khuks, for the interest of the sharks?

Two Sirupatis (one a pre-stroke Bura, I think) and a Chitlangi are languishing there, with auctions closing in a few hours. The prices do not (ahem) currently reflect the items' quality. Were I in the market for such ...

t.

I have looked a few times at these. Maybe the seller just doesn't know a lot about HI blades, or maybe they are just being advertised in a way to attract the typical e-prey buyer...but I didn't feel comfortable taking the chance.

I go to E-bay several times a week and sometimes even bid on things. I bid what an item is worth to me, but rarely do I win an item, as the last minute seems critical for most items. Usually get beat by the next highest bid amount. I have a life and just can't sit around and wait for the last minute of bidding. Sorry if I sound like an old curmudgeon... :(

Jeff

SHHHHH :)

There are a couple of Cantinistas bidding on these. (not me) They were probably hoping for a bargain,,,til now. :rolleyes:

Steve

(banging my head here, Steve). uhmm ... sorry lads .....

Jeff, that's my e-bay strategy too. Decide what something's worth to me and set the bid ... then wait for the good/bad news.

I bought a book there earlier this week (a classic boatbuilding book, which includes full plans for my next project :D ), but this is my third try for it. The previous two times, it went over the price I was willing to pay.

Time of year is also useful to keep in mind, for some things. Bought a Soviet era fur hat for $20 one August. Warmest thing I've ever had.

t.

Tom, I just read my own post and it sounded harsh. I didn't mean it that way. It's all good bud. Like Uncle Bill always said, "They each find the right home"

Steve

TomFetter said:
(banging my head here, Steve). uhmm ... sorry lads .....

Jeff, that's my e-bay strategy too. Decide what something's worth to me and set the bid ... then wait for the good/bad news.

I bought a book there earlier this week (a classic boatbuilding book, which includes full plans for my next project :D ), but this is my third try for it. The previous two times, it went over the price I was willing to pay.

Time of year is also useful to keep in mind, for some things. Bought a Soviet era fur hat for $20 one August. Warmest thing I've ever had.

t.

Shoot, anythings warm when ya wear it in August ;)

I believe the seller knows about HI's quality as he mentions the names of the kamis and when the khukuris were bought. The low prices are probably meant to attract more bidders.

Placing my maximum bid and waiting is my strategy as well. I just won a 21" Chainpuri and an 18" Chitlangi earlier this week. I'm hoping to buy a house in the near future so I figured that I'd treat myself beforehand. Plus a few extra khukuris make good birthday/Christmas presents. ;)

Bob

ferguson said:
SHHHHH :)

There are a couple of Cantinistas bidding on these. (not me) They were probably hoping for a bargain,,,til now. :rolleyes:

Steve

<raises hand> :(

Those khuks *were* mine. Might have to move, and needed to lighten up. I'm having them sold by a commision autioneer, since I didn't have time to mess with doing it myself, especially since my computer is usually n the blink.

An additional fee was required up front to place a reserve--I took the gamble. Dunno yet what the ones already sold finally went for.

I wasn't pleased with the "crib from HI's site, the first khuk the guy put up he didn't do that, and followed my written instructions (that I had provided for each knife). I had a tough enough time convincing him not to compare them to the lion-headed garbage that was for sale there at the time.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. The guy did a reasonable job on some other stuff, so I guess I can't bitch too much, since I didn't bother to do it myself. Now I know to require pre-aproval of the "pitch", and so does anylbody else who reads this.

Hope they go to good homes.

Back