On the Bench - April '14 - Koster Knives

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by Daniel Koster, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Check here for updates on works-in-progress for Koster Knives, April of 2014

Here are a few pics of the process I go through to get some G10 handles ready for liners.

[​IMG]

Cut out at 540rpm on a variable speed bandsaw with a vari-tooth bimetal blade (can cut steel too). Have to cut G10 slowly or else it wears out the blade really fast.

I bought a cool magnetic base flashlight to move around the shop - you can see it in the pic above. Works great!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SAM02O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    [​IMG]

Lay out the handles on the liner material...turn the saw up to ~3000 and cut away:
    [​IMG]

Flatten on a disc sander first, then on a granite plate for dead-flat inside faces

[​IMG]

Then I rough up all the to-be-glued surfaces with a sanding sponge and clean it thoroughly with acetone.

[​IMG]

Mix up a little 5-min epoxy...
    [​IMG]

And clamp everything together firmly-but-gently with some adjustable clamps.

[​IMG]

Done!

2. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    All glued up:

[​IMG]

After rough shaping with a slack belt....all handles are smoothed over by hand...the "hard way".

[​IMG]

3. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    And.....finished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    And here's a prototype of a new knife design I started last year and set down for a while. Hopefully will see the light in the fall.

Trapper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. zman9mm

zman9mm

Sep 15, 2013
    I was wondering if you were ever going to do a Trapper Dan....is there going to be a Scandi Trapper to go with that ?

6. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Scandi Trapper - hadn't thought of that one, truthfully. Will give it some consideration.

My goal with the Trapper was to make the blade light/thin, yet still have a full size handle. So many trapper/bird-n-trout/etc knives have small, undersized, uncomfortable handles.

7. sloth357

sloth357 Platinum m0f0 Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Those are awesome... I like the black scales, and kydex... I'm convinced! Got your email and definitely count me in :)

8. zman9mm

zman9mm

Sep 15, 2013
    I love the trapper idea...can't wait to see if it comes to fruition. Selfishly, that could be one handy knife for me !

9. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Finally finished up a rehandle job I have been putting off for years.....literally years...

The owner is a *very* patient guy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Sanding the handle by hand - time intensive. Which is why I don't do this kind of work anymore....I could have made 10 knives in the time it took to do this one rehandle. Hahaha :D :p

[​IMG]

11. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Putting a chamfer on some lanyard tubing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laid out some BushMasters with Black Canvas Micarta handles - these are headed to KnivesShipFree.com

[​IMG]

These Corby bolts are made to my specifications - had to get 1500 at a time. :D

And you can see I'm trying out some G/flex epoxy from West System. So far, looks great!

[​IMG]

12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    BushMasters laid out for glue-up....everything ready to go.

[​IMG]

And.....

...All Done!

[​IMG]

13. elmsfordlt

elmsfordlt

Feb 8, 2013
    I'm in for the Trapper!

14. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Sweet - keep your eyes peeled on Facebook/Forum. ;)

More works in progress pics!

This is how I lay out my handles to cut on the bandsaw. Variety of handle materials here - G10, Micarta, Cocobolo, Ironwood.

[​IMG]

BushMasters profiled after glue-up

[​IMG]

Laying out the next batch of BushMasters for KnivesShipFree - Orange G10

[​IMG]

Black Canvas Micarta

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net...371_832743876739387_7880957360457781646_n.jpg

MUCK orders - blades heat-treated, ready to prep for glue-up

[​IMG]

15. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Bushcraft orders - variety of handle materials. The stuff "under wraps" is stag - I do that to keep it flat while waiting for glue-up.

[​IMG]

BushMaster orders - handles cut, ready to start glue-up

[​IMG]

Nessmuk blades in 3V, Scandi grind. Heat-treated, ready to prep for glue-up

[​IMG]

Bushcraft blanks - heat-treated and tumbled. Ready to layout

[​IMG]

Celilo blanks for BushcraftNorthwest - heat-treated and waiting for handle material to arrive from Masecraft.

[​IMG]

16. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Grinding blades...

[​IMG]

Makes for a nice pile of rusty metal dust in the bottom of my quench bucket.

[​IMG]

YUM !!! :D :p :eek:

17. LilBayDeNoc

LilBayDeNoc

May 31, 2013
    Very cool Dan, thank you for sharing!

18. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    Awesome stuff - thanks for sharing. That Ironwood Bushmaster is going to be sweet!

19. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    Scandi Trapper - hadn't thought of that one, truthfully. Will give it some consideration.

My goal with the Trapper was to make the blade light/thin, yet still have a full size handle. So many trapper/bird-n-trout/etc knives have small, undersized, uncomfortable handles.

very true! love the look of yours Dan!

20. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    more progress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]