On the topic of sharpness concerning the LM Surge

A few weeks ago I bought a leatherman surge from Target as my PST just wasn't doing it any more. Now, most blades I purchase usually end up being sharpened or possibly re-profiled within a week, but I thought to myself, "Hey, this seems sharp enough!" And it was. :eek: Only later did I get to test the 'sharpidity' while cutting some plastic with the serrated blade. Boy was that thing sharp; sharp enough to warm up the car and head to the ER.

I give the manufactures at leatherman a thumbs-up and a 4 stitch rating! :D

I doubt you're the first person to underestimate the knife blades on a newer Leatherman. My old original Leatherman Tool wasn't particularly sharp when I got it, but took a good edge; the blade on my old Wave were pretty scary by comparison! :eek:

The serration pattern they use isn't the most aggressive one out there, but it's deceptively nasty. Even the PE blades have gotten much better: I've inadvertantly tried to remove parts of various fingers over the years I've had mine, and the Charge I got last year, and the Surge I bought recently, convince me that it isn't a fluke — the Leatherman folks are pretty serious about putting good, sturdy, and damn-sharp blades on their tools!

Back