On Topic: Picky sleeper?

i think i am one of the world's most pickiest sleepers.

1) obsessive compulsive with bed neatness. Must be made certain way, etc.
2) complete dark & silence
3) preferably cold room (i likes the window open)
4) 30 min or more to eventually fall asleep
5) once i wake up in the morning, i wake up. no going back. if it's 6 am, i'm screwed for the day.
6) cannot for the life of me sleep in. i go to bed 'round 2 am and i'm up at 9 am.
7) cannot sleep if even slightly hungry.
8) must shower before bedtime.
9) and the biggest one of all, i cannot survive the day unless i've gotten a min of 8 hours. i can go on 7 for a few days but it will eventually catchup and then i'm zombie material. at my last job, i had to go on about 7 hours. it got to a point where if you held 3 fingers up i'd only see the middle one.

i just don't get it.

I,ve had trouble sleeping occassionaly . usually an exercise regimen will cure it . ( Walking)
That sounds tough .It doesn,t sound like you are that old .There is just too much that you require for me to figure out . I know it is schedule related . Could it be work related ? Do you do what you like ? I walked away from a high stress job . I would rather be poor than sick . Maybe you could find work you like more ?

i'm not an insomniac. once i'm asleep, it's pretty hard to wake me up.

i've never really had issues with actually trying to fall asleep. it's just that i need to prepare a whole deal!

Not to get personal, but is there a Mrs. Hahn or significant other who could tell if you have erratic snoring patterns that could point to Sleep Apnea?

I had similar problems that began when I put on an extra 40 pounds. Anne (Mrs Marsh) was complaining about me waking her up. I got checked out and have sleep apnea.

The snoring patterns can indicate a blockage that prevents, among other things, you from getting healthful alpha-level (REM) sleep.

Sleep apnea can be deadly.

And it keeps waking up the sheep.....;) :eek: :eek:

Dave Hahn said:
i think i am one of the world's most pickiest sleepers.

1) obsessive compulsive with bed neatness. Must be made certain way, etc.

4) 30 min or more to eventually fall asleep

7) cannot sleep if even slightly hungry.

i just don't get it.

Dave I left the ones that somewhat still bother me a bit. Some of the others used too, like showering before bed, a dark quiet room, and a little cold, still like it cool.
The others I overcame because of my health issues.
My pillows still have to be just right before I can go to sleep. I don't know how old you are but I think age also overcomes some of the issues just because as we get older our bodies needs change.
I can sleep about anytime and anywhere now days but I can really sympathize with you.
It might behoove you greatly to talk to your family Dr. and let him/her know what's going on, what Bill said could have some bearing on it as well.
I also have sleep apnea but the way I sleep I seldom if ever use the equipement.
I don't snore nearly like I used too.

You sound like my wife's lost twin

took the words out of my mouth.:D Mostly the only thing she has in common with you Dave is the need for at least 8 hrs a night--without it and she is a MESS:eek:

DannyinJapan said:
Have you considered fellatio ?
It works for me....

Isn't that the kind of hat Indiana Jones wears? I would think it would more difficult to fall asleep in a fellatio. I just asked my wife to buy me one next time she's out. No body told me marriage would consist of so many punches to the jaw.

Jake

The Army did a medical study in which they determined that the average soldier needs 4 HOURS of uninterrupted sleep to maintain combat effectiveness. I reckon they figure grumpy, cross eyed, barstids will have a more devastating effect on the enemy.

I kind of hear what they're saying though, I've had some "days" last 36 hours. Thank God for "combat naps", if you're tired enough you can sleep anywhere, anytime. ;)
Sarge

Dave? Join the service. They'll fix all that in no time.

Truth be told, I'm a selectively light sleeper now; when my drunken redneck room mates start blasting today's country hits at 80 dB it doesn't wake me up, but when the door opens, the raccoons shuffle stuff around outside the window, or someone says my name, I'm up. (And I tend to be up for the duration after that...same problem that you have.) I used to have some fairly interesting nightmares but they're going away. Perhaps this line of work wasn't agreeing with me.

Of course, the cat is another story. Oscar the Attack Cat prefers to get an early start on the day (say, 0500) and if no one's available to let him out, he has no problems with meowing next to my head to get me going. He's been known on occasion to hop up on one's chest and take a few swats at the face (no claws, but still unpleasant) if the meowing doesn't do the job.

Exercise, cut back on water an hour or two before going to sleep, yadda yadda yadda...I'm sure that you've heard all of this before. But here's a new one: take a nice hot shower in the morning before work. Scientific evidence isn't available currently but I am 100% convinced that a hot shower is worth three hours in the rack. If you're short on sleep, a good shower works miracles - for me, anyway. Between the shower and some decent coffee I can get by on surprisingly little. YMMV.

Not recommended: on the ship, it was sometimes hard to get good sleep. People slamming their racks, people going in and out, people blasting the T.V. until the early morning, people having wrestling matches in your isle...there was always something going on. A shot or two of Nyquil before nighty-night tended to make one sleep just deeply enough that common commotions would have no affect, but alarms and yelling still did the job. Not recommended, because it's not good sleep (but is better than none), it can become habit forming, you'll be groggy the next morning if you're not down for seven hours or more, and quite frankly it tastes terrible.

If the natural cures don't work, ask your doctor. I tried Ambien once after a trip to Australia (where evidently it's not prescription medication) and it was wonderful stuff.

Steely_Gunz said:
Isn't that the kind of hat Indiana Jones wears? I would think it would more difficult to fall asleep in a fellatio. I just asked my wife to buy me one next time she's out. No body told me marriage would consist of so many punches to the jaw.

Jake

I thought we warned you...

MauiRob said:
Wow! Ninjitsu made you more flexible than I thought possible Danny:p :p ;) I'm surprised you ever leave the house:D :p

Rob, wish I could still give rep points! :D Exactly what I thought of!

But, I know what Danny meant anyway. But forget it Danny, some of us aren't so fortunate, being married and all. :confused: ;)

Awfull lot of apnea going on here. Come to think of it I didn't get diagnosed until I got interested in the old sharp and pointies - you don't suspect it is a side effect of HIKV (or in my case AOKV [Any Old Khukuri Virus])?

Back