Once upon a time this is what two dollars bought

It always surprises me when this important forum goes wanting. At one time Schrade and the small village of Walden NY supplied more than half the knives sold in america. Steel and cutlery are two of the industrys that made America strong. The people who came to this country and worked in these industries were tough. They cut their way into freedom because they would not stand the work a day abuse these industries afforded where they lived, and changed that by moving to a land of freedom. The picture I am including is typical of that spirit. Somewhere at a point past the middle of the last century, there was a time where for 2.00 dollars and five wrappers from a special Prince Alpert can of tobacco, a person could get a choice of 3 styles of knives ( Old Timers under a Ulster Tang ). These were knives that were treasured as the first pocket knives that were given from father to sons and sometimes taught the meaning of working ( and saving ) for something you really wanted. I know I counted my change ( I mowed a lot of lawns) and collected coupons until I could get my first OLD TIMER. Sure hope you like the picture.
View

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 06-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 06-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 06-17-2001).]

Great pic! Yes...I also wonder why this forum isn't used much. Schrade offered and still offers some high quality knives.

Today I found a LB1 in a store and is now on my keychain. Great little knife, well constructed and sharp!

C'mon Schrade and members, lets talk more!

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Not being around when this promotion originally ran, the first time I became aware of it was when a dealer, who's become a good friend, was showing it off as part of his collection. It is amazing what $2.00 could buy. It's fun to see this type of "history".

I invite any and all forum readers to tell us about any similar items, or better yet, tell about the history of your Schrade knife. Did it come from a father or grandfather, etc.?

------------------
Tim Faust
Product Manager
www.schradeknives.com

Wow- really nice- Thanks for sharing that.

------------------
"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)
AKTI# A000107

Back