One Arm Swordsman

It seems to me that swords are more efficiently wielded by the two-handed approached.

At least that is the general understanding of sword fighting.

Lately however, I ponder over the issue of a one-arm swordsman who may or may not approach the competence, or even excellence of a two-armed swordsman.

There are, of course, stories from the East (not from the movies) that there are very deadly and highly competent one-arm swordsman.

So from the point of view of physiology and human anatomy, how can a man who is at a physical disadvantage reach, or exceed the competence level of an ordinary swordsman who suffers from no physical defects?

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

[This message has been edited by golok (edited 05-12-2001).]

It has nothing to do with physiology or anatomy. Success as a warrior has much more to do with the Mind than the body.

A warrior with a trained mind can defeat almost anyone or anything. The condition of his body and the weapons available are much less important factors. And always remember what Sun Tzu said in 'The Art of War': 'the greatest warrior defeats his enemy without even fighting'

Paracelsus

Musashi didn't see it that way; his Book of Five Spheres advocates wielding the katana with one hand. "You'll find this difficult at first," he says (and I paraphrase here), "but everything is difficult the first time you do it."

-Razor

------------------
AKTI #A000845
And tomorrow when you wake up it will be worse.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razoredj:
Musashi didn't see it that way; his Book of Five Spheres advocates wielding the katana with one hand. "You'll find this difficult at first," he says (and I paraphrase here), "but everything is difficult the first time you do it."

-Razor
</font>

Very true. In fact, Musashi is almost appologetic when he says, "When it is difficult to put someone to the sword with one hand, by all means kill him with two hands."

the main issue is Balance.... if the one armed swordsman has adapted to the loss then there is no difficulty. Many of us use one hand as a rule ,particularly those of us who prefer the point to the edge.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by golok:
It seems to me that swords are more efficiently wielded by the two-handed approached.

At least that is the general understanding of sword fighting.

Lately however, I ponder over the issue of a one-arm swordsman who may or may not approach the competence, or even excellence of a two-armed swordsman.

There are, of course, stories from the East (not from the movies) that there are very deadly and highly competent one-arm swordsman.

So from the point of view of physiology and human anatomy, how can a man who is at a physical disadvantage reach, or exceed the competence level of an ordinary swordsman who suffers from no physical defects?

</font>

I'm in a unique position to comment on this because one of my fencing coaches only had one arm. Due to a birth defect this lady's left arm ended just below the elbow in a small finger-like diget. In fencing you use your trailing arm as a counterweight to help you balance as well as recover from a lunge Granted European foil fencing isn't the same thing as edged-blade sword fighting but balance, speed and strength are still very important. If I recall correctly, my coach
took at least a third and possibly a 2nd placemedal in Provential competition in British Columbia. She was always a tremendous challenge to spar with because she was aggressive and, despite being a tiny little thing, very strong. It's been many years since it happened but I think she was one of the people who snapped the tip off their foil and went through my plastron with the broken end.

I make swords for military use. Yeah really, even today. These guys come into the shop and we work together for hours and hours to get them just the tool they need to carry in the field. They are outfitted with semi-precious gemstone handles, sheaths of stainless steel, aluminum, kydex and acrylic, and blades of (usually) 440C.

Some are engraved, etched, and fileworked, with personal touches, emblems and flashes with meaning known only to the maker and warrior.

At first, the sword is unwieldy, even if properly balanced. Most of our lives, we are unfamiliar with the extension of our arms by steel. But in a matter of hours, the sword becomes comfortable, as if some ancient memory has been revived, and a broad smile graces the warrior's face.

Most people who actually use swords (for clearing brush, building shelters, or other clandestine pursuits I do not wish to know) are so married to their weapon that one hand or two, the steel dances with graceful motion, their forearms guiding each stroke and parry, effortless but sublime.

And they get pretty good. Otherwise, these men would have no ears!

------------------
Read, Study, Learn, Grow
-DO-
Jay
www.gilanet.com/JayFisher/index.htm

Back