One for a good kid.

The knife is on the way.

I just hope the young man is not disappointed by a 60 year old knife with honest wear. ;).

I think he'll be in awe of a knife that's nearly 6 times older than him. We'll be looking for it. Thanks again!

The knife arrived yesterday and the timing couldn't have been better.

My son's 6th grade football team (11-12 year olds) played for the city championship last night. They went into the game hoping to win a third straight championship and defend their undefeated record of 33-0 over the past three seasons.

This has been a difficult season for our team with several of our best players out of action or playing with injuries, including a broken elbow, a broken foot and a broken arm. In fact, on Friday night at practice, my son broke the middle finger on his left hand. Saturday morning he was in a lot of pain and understandably worried about playing with his injury. But he didn't want to let his team down, so we taped him up and sent him off to the gridiron to join the bravehearts and the walking wounded in what turned out to be an epic defensive struggle. Unfortunately, our boys come out on the loosing end of a 6-0 final.

After the game, we parents told the boys that we couldn't be more proud of all they had accomplished over the past three years. We told them that there was no shame in a 33-1 record and that they should raise their chins and wipe their eyes. But as you can imagine, they found little comfort in our words.

And so it was a blessing to find a box addressed to my son in the mailbox when we returned to our home. I considered holding off on giving it to him, waiting for a better occasion. But I decided that perhaps this token from a stranger might lessen the sting of an otherwise bitter day. I'm glad I made that decision. My son, who had shown very little emotion after the game, became misty eyed when he opened the box and I told him the story behind it's contents.

Gus, I can not find the words to adequately express my gratitude for your kind gesture. I can only promise to pay your kindness forward and offer this picture of one very happy boy.

boyandknifegm7.jpg

Congrats and attaboys all the way around. Well done!

A chartered fishing trip is in order. Or, a lot cheaper, just cut some rope from the hardware store ;). Good ending to a tough day!

Thanks should go to Kohai99. He gave me the knife and it looks like we got it in the direction he wanted it to go in.

That picture does a lot more than repay the small effort on my part.:thumbup:

... but I like the idea of us watching out for deserving kids and giving them a knife if mom and dad say it is OK. :D.

Thanks should go to Kohai99. He gave me the knife and it looks like we got it in the direction he wanted it to go in.

That picture does a lot more than repay the small effort on my part.:thumbup:

Yeah, Gus....you got it!

Texas Slim....hope that your son enjoys that knife, and gets good use out of it, I really do.

I am not a big afficianado of antiques....was going to turn this knife into a wharncliffe, but for what? To ruin a piece of history that someone else could enjoy intact?

That just would have been not right, so contacted my amigo cyberspace-o Gus, and said please give this to some deserving personage of your choice...and he did...great timing, the right reason for the season...good feelings all 'round.

My wife and I adopted 3 new cats from the SPCA yesterday(brings it up to 6), and the good stuff is just coming 'round in piles.

Happy Holidays to you all!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

You can't put a price on a picture like that..... Sounds like you have a great boy.

:thumbup: to all involved in putting a big smile on his face

My thanks go out to you Kohai999 for such a thoughtful act. I'll make sure my boy treats it well but puts it to work.

Speaking of work, I understand this is a waterman's blade but I know nothing of its design. Can anyone tell me the pattern name and what it was designed to do? I'll pass that and as much of the history of this knife as I can get along to my boy.

Oh, and Kohai999, I see you are in SoCal. Well, I've lived in Texas all my life but I was born in Santa Barbara and as I type this I'm wearing my favorite SoCal Speed Shop hoodie. Coincidence? Hmmmm. :D

My thanks go out to you Kohai999 for such a thoughtful act. I'll make sure my boy treats it well but puts it to work.

Speaking of work, I understand this is a waterman's blade but I know nothing of its design. Can anyone tell me the pattern name and what it was designed to do? D

Well, I have seen it listed as both boat, and yacht knife. I was told that some were U.S. military issue. The knife is designed to cut rope, that is why there is no point on it, was used with a marlinspike as well. It would be excellent for bait cutting, and would also be a good folding "around the campsite" knife.

Texas Slim, you can certainly call me Steven.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks for the info Steven. This knife will likely get plenty of work cutting bait as we take a number of fishing trips to the beach each year. We kayak our baits out 300-400 yards targeting sharks, redfish and anything else that can swallow a large bait on a 20/0 hook. Of course, we'll have to keep the knife well oiled since steel seems to begin to rust within hours of exposure. I'll keep my trusty Spyderco Salt handy for the dirty work.

Thanks again for your generosity!

Darrell Byers but everyone calls me "db"

I just got my 9 year old nephew into knife collecting
I bought him a Western 10 of Hearts pocket knife with western playing cards for his birthday
Then I gave him my fathers old Imperial ALASKA pocket knife
He was born after my father's death so he was all excited
"I got Grandpa Louie's knife!!!"
I told him it was "vintage" and he need to take good care of it
I am gonna buy him a knife for his birthday every year.............

Congrats to the winner and that was a class gesture by STeven and Gus.

I have a Case hobo knife set aside for my son. He can't wait to go camping next year so he can eat his cereal with the spoon fireside.

Back