One for Blade 2- Pinkey's Sister

This bowie is from the same billet as the pink ivory I just posted, 700 layer nickle damascus (1084/L-6). The blade has a false top bevel and like most all of my blades is flat ground with a convex edge. The handle is Grade-A Desert Ironwood Burl with a nickle-silver guard, n-s, black & copper spacers, a mosaic pin and a throat of Eucalyptus Burl. I hope you can see the damascus in the picture. In my homble, but probably jaded opinion, this is my best bowie yet.

I forgot to mention... the sheath Tess made for this one has a beaver tail inlay.
bowie%20damascus-ironwood-eucalyptus.JPG

That would be great Bruce, I hope so. I'd love to get another MS's honest opinion of my work so far. Thanks.

J, beautiful work! I really enjoy your selection of parts for that one, too. You are too modest , fella!

I'm sure beginning to wish I could be there this year J! Dang, talk about missing out. That is truly fine and your choice of materials is perfect. Good luck Brother!

Very, very nice -- that is one fantastic bowie. :eek:

where did you learn to make bolsters / guards?

This a sweet blade.......... :D

"beaver-tail" inlay.....very interesting....what more can you tell me about it?

Just learned trial and error on the guards, like most of it. I started doing the contoured guards because that was what was easiest with the equiptment I started out with. I've tried to develop that style more and more over the last couple years. I really like the nice flowing lines of it, especially if I don't screw it up somewhere else along the lines.
;)
Dan, don't know what more to say about the beaver tail, other than it's pretty cool looking. I can do a close up photo if you'd like. This, the pinkey and a few others are going to Blade so I hope you guys can see them there. I'm hoping to make a good first impression. I was really hoping to use this bowie for the "best new maker" competition but, then I learned it's only 2 years or less to enter and I've got 3 under my belt. Oh, well.

PS-the Shark's Tooth is next. This one will be for all the guys who say I try too hard to amuse my fellow Forumites.
:D

Really nice J. I'm sure you'll make a good debut at the show!

What thickness of nickel did you put in the mix?

Not to pick on you, just offer some friendly advice. If you switch to O1 with your L6, it will really blow your stack. Kevin Cashen and Tim Zowada have both done a great deal of work with this mix, I've only begun to play with it seriously. The biggest reason to go with this mix (IMHO) is that the hardening properties are so similar for O1/L6, same as 1084/15N20.

Well, just a thought, I don't want to hi-jack your thread!

Knock 'em dead in Atlanta J!!! :D
Nick

Thanks Nick. I was actually planning on switching to 15N20 instead of L-6. Since they (1084 & 15n20) are damn near the same thing anyway. I'd have a hard time giving up my 1084. Bill Buxton turned me onto it and I love it. I am going to have to try O1 sometime though. My next experiments are going to be with pure iron in place of nickle.
On the nickle I used .008 thickness and put in two pieces during my first fold. Thanks again.

Back