One more time - what the best knife for defense against bears?

I'm pretty confident I could take a bear with a knife. I would want a Busse battle mistress, some Carothers chopper, or a large David Mary knife or similar. At that point I'm reasonably sure that koala is going down...

Final update on the bear attack in a mountain national park near Hakodate Japan in late October,The bear attacked 3 people and killed one 22 year old college student.
The 3 were only slightly injured and the secod group of two were firemen. One of them stabbed the attacking bear in the eye and throat.
Afterwards the mutilated body of the college student was found. Then the bear was found dead in a ravine.
An autopsy of the bear showed human flesh in it's digestive system.
And although the size of the knife used by the fireman has not been published, of interest is that the autopsy showed that the knife had severed
the bear's windpipe.

In a well-documented and highly publicized incident in 1999, a 69 year old hunter named Gene Moe killed an attacking Kodiak bear with a Buck 110. Stabbing the bear 5 times.

This is the knife. It was retrieved after the incident.

wboXOmv.jpg

It's the one always with me so I'd probably use my 125OT.

20231202_110223.jpg
If I'm going into bear country knowingly I'll have my Stifle Bowie on my hip as well.
20231225_200234.jpg

Well the last few times, Ive only had a folder and they can be fiddly to open, an you'll want to duck n weave while you do it! Since this seems to keep happening, I think I might have go back to my trusty double smachet boot carry rig.

No knife on earth is appropriate bear medicine. That role is reserved for a full tube of foster slugs.

I think if I was stuck having to choose a bladed weapon I'd choose a spear like the zombie tools one. While I'm not a big fan of their products, they do seem to be uniquely suited for this task. Trick is you have to get it right on the first attempt otherwise once the bear is on you good luck getting the angle and strength needed to position it blade right to attack successfully again

Spit_gallery_2048x.jpg

Or perhaps one of these
legion_gallery_2048x.jpg

An unskilled, weak, or novice user. One of these might increase the odds of them coming out alive. Easier to do multiple strikes even if laying on the ground
5700px_2048x.jpg

But I think I'd want my .458 WSM before a blade

Hey I just remembered something.

Any of you guys ever watched the movie "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin? Remember what they did? They used a small lockback pocket knife. It's a really old movie, but I'm not going to spoil it. You should really watch it if you haven't seen it. It's a classic and it's really good. Definitely worth seeing.

But anyway, if you are ever attacked by a bear, just ask it to wait for a few hours so you can get ready to fight it. ;)

The best knife is the one belonging to the person who stands his ground, thereby giving you the chance to haul your as-pirations in the other direction. 😒

Back