One of those "I just got my Gunting" posts

I just have to share my opinion on the Gunting. I received mine a couple of days ago.

It all started when I was looking for a replacement for my old SS Delica about four months ago. I was planning on getting a SS Police because I remembered Spyderco made such a knife. It just happened that I in the process stumbled on to Bladeforums. (Now I know that I can´t do it all with ONE knife
smile.gif
)

This lead me to broaden my view and I thought: which knife would be the best for selfpreservation in my environment? Is it the Police or has evolution brought out something new? Maybe some other brand?

When I first happened to see a picture of the Gunting 2-3 months ago I thought: "Wow, that is one ugly knife. Looks like a real POS!"

After reading a lot of posts and writing some of my own I thought: "Hey, that initial feeling was the same I had about the Glock when I first saw it. Maybe that Gunting knife isn´t so bad. It´s just fugly."

A couple of weeks later I had the opportunity to play with a drone at a fair. I decided then and there to order one from an internet dealer.

When it came in the mail this monday I immediately noticed the smooth feeling when it opens. It came with a resistance that I really like. Not too hard and not to easy to open, it was just right. Great feel from those G-10 scales. Grind lines are good. Black clip really blends with the handle. Now I am saving up to the trainer and a kydex holster.

One problem though, it doesn´t feel like a Glock. It feels more like a Sig Sauer. You know, not a field tool more like a urban tool.

Well it wasn´t really a problem at all. Different tools for different environments. Now I need a field folder.
smile.gif

I think it will be a custom Strider with a tanto point.

If Sal doesn´t produce a "Field Gunting" with a 4-4.5 inch (and a thad thicker) blade. A bead blast finish on the blade would also be nice. Of course putting the pin holding the blade a little lower so you can do a bit of prying with it would add to the value. While I am at it, why not make a bit "chunkier" handle? I hate that shrinkage feeling when you get a bit stressed. "Chunky" feels good when you are scared (aroused, stressed, whatever)
wink.gif

Let us see the "Steroid version" of the Gunting soon. I´m eagerly awaiting it´s release. Military only or whatever.
smile.gif

(Can´t stop pestering people about the 4 inch Gunting)

/Colinz

Hello, welcome to the club!!! Bram has hinted that perhaps in the future we will see a bigger version of the Gunting. Depending on how well this one does. You might want to take a look at the Chinook if your in need of a big hefty nife?

I´ve handled the Chinook. Didn´t like it. It´s too pointy for such a big blade. Didn´t fancy the balance either. Too bad.
frown.gif

I read about BRAM thinking about a "steroid version". Nice to see that others are interested. Maybe we can see a limited run for us that care?
wink.gif

I hope they take some of my ideas into consideration. I would be prepared to pay over 200$ (retail closer to 300$) for one with the right alterations made. I want a Glock type of knife.

I even asked in another post if someone had disassembled the Gunting, just so that I might get another (longer) blade made by some custom maker.

If its quality, I´m ready to pay for it.

/Colinz

------------------
"Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!"
-W.B. Yeats epitaph

And as Nemo, from France, and I have both noted, it is one Hell of a utility knife as well.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

First of all - get the trainer!!!!

Otherwise you WILL join the "oops I cut myself bad" club...

And get the kydex holster - it's all about speed - the Gunting is out of it before you know it - and with the right angle..

While you're at it - get all the tapes about the Gunting...and attend a seminar...
smile.gif

Blilious,

As you may have noticed I live in Sweden. I have a hard time attending a seminar.
frown.gif

The VHS tapes do they really work here? I believe we have another system over here
frown.gif

Almost all knives from USA are 2 - 2.5 times more expensive here (Gunting=190$). Don´t know if someone sells a holster here and if I buy it through internet it will cost me about 20-25$ for money order and shipping, plus the cost of a holster. If I have bad luck the customs office want some money too. That adds up to over 45$ (assuming that a holster cost 20$) not counting custom fees. FOR A HOLSTER!
frown.gif

Not mad at you or anything, just annoyed with the situation over here. 3x
frown.gif
says it all, I think. Still getting the tapes though. I´ll pay some company to transfer the information to the correct VHS system.

I will pay for quality. I will not pay an overprice because there is a lack of competitors on a market or because my government wants to rob me blind.

I´ll get around the problems mentioned above, just need a little time. I´ll buy the trainer soon
wink.gif

/Colinz

------------------
"Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!"
-W.B. Yeats epitaph

Originally posted by Colinz:
Blilious,

As you may have noticed I live in Sweden. I have a hard time attending a seminar.
frown.gif

Talk to Thomas - the European representative of CSSD - and one of Brams' students...
Email me to get his email.

The VHS tapes do they really work here? I believe we have another system over here
frown.gif

Most new VCR are capable of supporting all systems - check yours...otherwise have someone transfer the info - no big deal..

Almost all knives from USA are 2 - 2.5 times more expensive here (Gunting=190$)...

This situation is very similar to Israel - bad customs, high prices due to no competition (good luck we have such a friendly importer of steel -mainly Spyderco- Scorpio)

Stop ranting Colinz...
smile.gif
juts get the trainer and start hurting all your training friends..

smile.gif

alright, Alright, ALRIGHT, I´ll stop my whining
smile.gif

It always takes away a bit of your own pain when you see others having the same or more of it
wink.gif

/Colinz

grrr, I just realized that I have to get a "lender" drone for my friends
frown.gif
I just had to do some last minute whining
wink.gif

------------------
"Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!"
-W.B. Yeats epitaph

Colinz - you need one trainer - cause you practice with a friend - so once you’re done hurting him - you swap places and it's his turn to hurt you back...hence it is very important NOT to hurt him too much...
smile.gif

Trust me - you'd never believe how painful it can be if you don't try it...

So be kind to your training partner...

...uh, lending my own PERSONAL drone. You haven´t met my friends. If I tell almost any of them to do a technique on me in "half-speed". Their response in their heads would probably be something like:

"Half-speed
confused.gif
??? Aaah
biggrin.gif
, he must mean that I should only try to bury half of this puny unsharpened blade in his weak body. Come on you -blanketyblankblank-
mad.gif
I´ll rip your -blank- to -blanketiblank- you -blank- AAARRRGH
mad.gif
."

(his mouth frothing like he just emptied half a can of "whip-it" cream and forgot to swallow)

The next 15 seconds or so, I would have to parry a dozen or so "feints" to the eyes and protect my ribs from getting pounded by his knees. (a feint in their company means only that you missed the target, nothing else)

That´s why I´ll be needing two drones. One for myself as protection.
wink.gif

Last time one of my friends and I tried to learn eachother some new cool empty hand techniques, one had trouble relieving himself of the excess water in his body without pain for a week (nice way of saying that he couldn´t pee). I had a black eye and some scratches in my face. All in good fun, of course.

Read this twice, maybe I should get some new friends
smile.gif
Nah! They are great people that you can depend on. I meet enough sissy people when I´m at the university.

Have a nice weekend,

/Colinz

------------------
"Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!"
-W.B. Yeats epitaph

Back