One On The Philosophy of Paying It Forward

Good read. I also remember it said that we do not have to fill every waking moment of their young lives with activity, that sometimes it is a good idea to let them become bored, so that they can use their own creative juices how to create some fun (within reason of course and not get into trouble, it never occurred to us as kids to do something bad) or fill their time. When my parents told me to go outside, I played in the backyard or got some friends together to play football or catch. Or during the summer my friends and I would go to the local creek, play like we were soldiers evading enemy patrols, and we got poison ivy in the process. :p We learned what ones to avoid next time after being bathed in calamine by our moms. Lastly, while getting kids involved with sports or other activities is good for the experiences and valuable lessons on teamwork, it is a good idea to limit the number of activities to one or two. If they are constantly having to be rushed here and there, and with the amount of homework they have, where is the down time? We also need to spend quality time with them. The article pointed that out, and she learned some important things in the process.

Last edited:
Outstanding article Brian

Thank you Pat!

good read!

Thank you Phillip! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Good read. I also remember it said that we do not have to fill every waking moment of their young lives with activity, that sometimes it is a good idea to let them become bored, so that they can use their own creative juices how to create some fun (within reason of course and not get into trouble, it never occurred to us as kids to do something bad) or fill their time. When my parents told me to go outside, I played in the backyard or got some friends together to play football or catch. Or during the summer my friends and I would go to the local creek, play like we were soldiers evading enemy patrols, and we got poison ivy in the process. :p We learned what ones to avoid next time after being bathed in calamine by our moms. Lastly, while getting kids involved with sports or other activities is good for the experiences and valuable lessons on teamwork, it is a good idea to limit the number of activities to one or two. If they are constantly having to be rushed here and there, and with the amount of homework they have, where is the down time? We also need to spend quality time with them. The article pointed that out, and she learned some important things in the process.

Thank you sir, I'm very glad you liked it. I agree. Like me, my father was also a single dad with his hands full most of the time. He was always glad to teach me anything I needed to know, in fact as a single dad on his own in the bad recession of the 70s, he was compelled to teach me as much as he could about life, living off the land, and wilderness and urban survival, having grown up in the great depression before going into the Marines and traveling the globe during the height of the Cold War and fighting in Korea. And he was always willing to lend a hand when I needed help, but he did not have time to be my entertainment committee, and made that plane. I am in the same sort of shape now. I have too many of my own struggles to cope with working on improving the quality of both our lives, with as screwed up as everything was financially the last few years before the divorce and the custody case, the badly damaged leg that happened three months after we broke up in early 2017, and all of the struggles I have been through just trying to keep my work going whilst not having any insurance or medical treatment and just having to heal and do physical therapy on my own. Probably better that way really. Not like I could have taken the time to lay up and heal had I insurance for the surgery(s) I likely should have had. But still her available extracurricular activities are limited by my limited time and financial resources. Mostly she does activities with her youth group at our church. I am likely lucky to have survived my time of being an odd sort of Christopher Robin, hunting rabbits with an air rifle in a hundred acre swampy wood on Cypress Point in Tampa, back in the early 70s when I was 9 before that area was developed. But like Nietzsche said, what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Luckily my father's ways of raising me back then apparently helped make me strong enough that it allowed me to keep dadding on in the face of our recent severe adversities, at a time when doing otherwise would have been very much to the detriment of both my daughter's well being. So, it compels me to do as much of the same as I can for my daughters now, and as many of the other children I interact with in classes and lectures as I can.

Last edited:
Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words.
I think you are showing The admirable qualities of a real man. Being there and raising your family to be self-reliant and idependent, things she will need in the future.

I think you are showing The admirable qualities of a real man. Being there and raising your family to be self-reliant and idependent, things she will need in the future.

Thank you, your words humble me and make me smile. I feel very blessed to have made it from where I once was to where I am today, likely due mostly to the teachings of my father and his guidance in my childhood guiding my choices later on. I'm pretty sure I would have never survived what happened in my teen years had he not taken the time to show and teach me all the things did. Every night I give thanks for the many blessings I have received in my time, for my daughters and my grandson, and the people who love me and whom I love. And I pray for the great power in this universe to grant me the wisdom and strength to be for them anywhere near what my father was for me.

Back