One Randall=One Elk?

I received a Randall Knife for Christmas this last year. I had a late elk hunt and after bagging and tagging my cow elk, I was excited to be able to use my new Randall. I was most dismayed to have the blade chip. But I called the Randall people to see what could be done. They do not make cheap knives. I got an offer to grind it out. What kind of service is this? Is this standing behind their product?

Your Randall knife was made to cut flesh not bone. Be honest with us here and tell us how you really chipped your blade. Regards, Rhett Stidham

Would tell you "tough bananas" and wouldn't ever offer to work with you on making the knife near-new......

I've had Randalls since 1965.....the one I toted in Vietnam was a mess when I got back....sent it back...they refinished it...no charge....who else would do that?:confused:

There are lots of other manufactures who will refinish blades for a slight charge, Reeves, Busse etc., many production companies offer similar services such as Buck, lots of custom makers of course offer similar services.

In any case the blade chipping is surprising given the relatively low RC I have usually heard quoted for Randalls and the relatively simple steels.

-Cliff

If you want to cut bone use a saw or hatchet instead of a knife.

I've heard the stories from time to time regarding the steel Randall uses. After 37 years of "using" Randalls, I never chipped a blade. Of course neither did my Loveless, Ron Lake or TM Dowel knife ever let me down.. A knife's edge can be damaged in many ways. A thin bevel can be damaged by a ignorant user regardless of the steel composition. There is blade geometry and blade designs that require careful handling. There are designs for heavy and rough use, i.e. the Hibben made knife or Coopers of old.

Sorry, regardless what you have to say, Randalls can and do perform quite admirably.

davidl
I have a Model 11. It's edge is just a fraction of an inch in width. I would never even think of using it on bone...heck my GB Hunter even nicked when I used it on moose bone...To do bone you need an edge sharpened for rough use ..When you send it back to Randall tell them you want to use it on bone ..the returned edge will be ground for that use...

What the heck is a steel heart? Sounds like my ex wife.;)

Busse makes a great knife, but we should try to compare apples with apples. A Randall model 14, 15, or 16 equals any steel heart but none are good skinner's. A huntinting/skinner is not used in the same way. A field knife has a broader application.

I think that is where the problem lies. What is the knife used for and "who" is using the knife. All the best.

Does anybody actually know the cause of David's knife chipping. Many are accusing him of hacking bone, but do you know for sure.:confused:

My original question was: "Be honest with us here and tell us how you really chipped your blade". Regards, Rhett Stidham. No reply as yet.

I myself am realy wanting to know how the chip came about, and how big the chip is/was. Ive finished of several animals this year, even once had to bust the breast plate. All I recieved in the way of "blade damage" is I managed to bust of a small 1/16" part of the edge itself.(yor know when you see a "shiny" spot when looking at the edge under light) But that was my fault not the knifes, and it took me less than 5mins to sharpen out.

I have a 7 year old Randall, model 3, stag handle, stainless blade. Gutted and skinned elk and bear with no problems, even the stainless steel held a good edge. I always thought it was a little thick for a skinner but after reading this I think its just right.

Back