Ontario Kukri: Is it a Machete or a Knife?

Good afternoon fellow knives lovers, I`m in the market for a big knife. I was wondering if the Ontario kukri cuould be considered as a knife or is it more leaning towards a machete in form and purpose? your insights about this particular model would be heartly appreciated!

Last edited:
How about The Ontario Kukri compared with both The Cold steel Gurkha knife and the Cold steel kukri machete.

Thanks in advance.

Here's my two cents: it's a knife. I used mine almost exclusively for chopping wood. Although you can use it like a machete, it doesn't compare well to a 14 inch Bush machete for (you guessed it) going into tropical Bush.

It's big and heavy and more of a Kukri combat knife . I can't speak for the Cold Steel.

I'm not sure what you want the big knife for but I typically carry a RAT-7 in D2 steel along with a 14 or 18 in machete carried in a kydex sheath. A really nice big knife compromise that acts like a short machete is the RTAK Ii if you don't want to carry both.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your comments. I like it to be a knife for cutting, slashing, slicing and probably some light chopping.

Last weekend I was camping with my family and all of the sudden my kids asked for some long "sticks" to burn some "smores" and marshmellows. I used my mora knife to make some long sticks out of palm tree branches. It was PITA and I realized the utility of a bigger knife in such kind of chores.

Is it a knife? Yes. Is it a machete? Yes. Is it cool? yep. Is it a better buy than Cold Steel? Oh HECK yes!

Its absolutely not a machete, but a machete is a knife. A bowie is not a machete nor a Khukuri, but is a knife.

The Kukri is an American Khukuri ;-)

The term Kukri Machete is blaspheme. A cheap way for companies to stamp something out and sell it. Or to make a machete look cool.

Anways... lol yeah, its a knife :-D

Back