Ontario Ranger RD-9

Update: Ontario replaced the knife themselves and within the six month time frame (about two months turn around). It showed up a couple weeks ago and is ripe and fit to be used. It took some doing, but it DID get done!

I bought one of these highly recommended blades for backpacking and serious woodsbumming and maybe a little abuse. After watching a few reviews and doing a bit of research I decided to try one.

I picked it up in October and gave it a quick workout with gloves and it preformed well. However, I noted the handles were a touch offset and not flush with the tang. I decided to overlook it until I could test the knife bare handed and see if it affected performance. It took about a month to get around to it, but I did give it the bare hand test. I quickly went from a chopping machine to a blister machine.

Long story short: ALL OF THE RD-9's rolling off the line have this problem! It will be over 6 months before they're able to correct it. I wanted to share this with the people here that are most likely to pick one up, and warn the folks here that might be considering one, that the RD-9's that Ontario is shipping out are flawed. I would like to give the RD-9 a fair test, but that might take a while. :rolleyes:

If you want to read my full, gritty story, you can find it here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713382

Last edited:
edit: saw that you contacted the company.

Do you have a pic?

have you tried contacting the company?

Yes Joe, by email and telephone. They have my knife. Read my feedback link at the bottom of the original post. Details most of what has transpired. They're dropping the ball.

edit: saw that you contacted the company.

Do you have a pic?

I don't have a macro feature on our digital camera, though I did make an attempt to capture the defect. I'm not sure where I stashed the pictures, and I suspect my girlfriend offloaded them onto her computer, but I'll see if I can locate them.

wow.
that blows.
good luck getting some satisfaction out of them!

I can't find the pictures, but I am considering asking for the knife back and just having custom handles made since I really have no confidence that they'll have the process fixed within six months. So, if if they return it, I'll take some photo's for you folks here.

Thats too bad. I had my eye on a 9" Nightstalker, but stories like this make me reconsider. It's too bad Justin is not running the show like he once did, there would be no problem getting it taken care of even if there was a problem.

I can't find the pictures, but I am considering asking for the knife back and just having custom handles made since I really have no confidence that they'll have the process fixed within six months. So, if if they return it, I'll take some photo's for you folks here.

Sorry to hear about this. Here's what I'd do: contact Justin Gingrich at Ranger Knives. Even he didn't make the knife I think he might be able to help you. Perhaps even send you new handle slabs or otherwise work it out. Quite frankly 6 months is unacceptable.

His email is justin ATT rangerknives.com Seriously, contact him!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you had an issue! I know the handles were a bit off when they first came out.....it is something that has been corrected and not all the blades are this way.

I did read your other post and as opposed to sanding them some can just be adjusted with the screws.

If you don't want to wait for OKC to fix it contact them and have them send the blade to me and I will take care of it for you. My email was put up by PatriotDan....so if you want contact me and let me know it is inbound and we can talk about what all you would like done to it.

Wow, that is very cool. I thought that Justin was out of the loop with Ontario.

that's why I feel this exemplifies excellent customer service - someone else made the knife, but it has his name on it, with his agreement, so he's making it right.

Well, Justin you ROCK! I appreciate your offer and I am more than impressed, I am honored. However, I would honestly feel bad if you fixed it, because you're not producing the blade, Ontario is. I would prefer not to put anyone out, inconvenience anyone, or cost anyone money. I'll email you today Justin, and we can discuss it.

I bought mine last spring and had the same problem. I didn't even contact OKC. Justin and Chestnut Ridge both offered to remedy the problem without hesitation. I would think you must have gotten some old stock.

Justin can handle that for you! :cool:

DSCN0427.jpg

:thumbup: Now that's stand up service from a stand up guy! I bought a few Rangers a few years ago and they are still some of my favorite blades.

I bought mine last spring and had the same problem. I didn't even contact OKC. Justin and Chestnut Ridge both offered to remedy the problem without hesitation. I would think you must have gotten some old stock.

I bought mine from Knifecenter.com and just figured since Manufacturing companies prefer to deal with issues like this rather than have the consumer send it back to the distributor, I wanted give Ontario a shot. I'll keep folks abreast as this unfolds and what solutions I am presented with.

Back