Ontario still making RAT knives?

Is ontario still making their RAT line or is that discontinued? I have a RAT-7 which seems well made and which I really like. Did I make a mistake getting it?

No, I think there still making the RAT series. And even if they did discontinue the series, at least your stuck with an great knife.

No, they are and will continue to make them. I agree that the RAT7 is a great knife. BTW read the sticky at the start of this forum; it will help clarify the situation for you.

ontario will continue with the RAT line up...but RAT Cutlery will be a better end product by looking at the RC3 vs. RAT3 ,I own alot of RAT products and will continue to purchase them as well as the RAT Cutelry line...I just really like the knives due to the reliablilty and value...that alone is hard to beat...then toss in the customer service is why I spend my money on the RAT products.

You certainly did not make a mistake on buying a RAT-7, it's my favorite knife in that size. I WILL buy an RC-6 and RC-3, though. I'm taking the RAT team's word that the RC-6 is very impressive, but even if it was just the same as a RAT-7, I'd buy it for the warranty.

to me and personally owning 6 RAT blades and the warranty Jeff & Mike offer and the knives are hard workers and Rat7 is one of my personal favorite blades for camp chores or just piddling outside & EDC a Rat 3 , a daily user + the other RAT blades; yet to even disappoint much less fail on me...I can not wait until the release of the RC4 & RC6 and break them in as well.

is the RC-6 exactly the same as the RAT-7 but made by RAT Cutlery instead?

the OAL of the RAT-7 is 12" with 6.5" blade and the RC-6 is 11.75" OAL with the same 6.5" blade. so what am i missing?

Gmountain - in addition to what has been said - Ontario will be bringing out the RAT5 in D2 shortly - should be a great knife. So, yes, Ontario is still producing RATs and even making new variants. I have a D2 TAK and a RAT5 in 1095 - a combination of the two will just be fantastic! I also have a RAT7 - its a great knife (mine is D2), and it'll serve you very well! All of my Ontario Rats are excellent knives, particularly for the $$. RAT Cutlery is "stepping it up" from what Ontario as been producing, but they are a little more expensive as a result.

Madfast - From what I've gathered, they're going to be very similar. The micarta slabs will probably be the grey w/ the green liners, the blade will likely be 1095 hardened to 57, and I'll throw a guess out that if offered, the combo edge will have the same serrations as the RC3. Fit and finish will be second to none, and quality control will be top notch when compared to Ontario, judging from what I've seen in the RC3. The RC6 will probably be a little more expensive, but worth it, I'm sure!

Just a little side-by-side of RAT v. RC from what we've seen so far...

My RAT3 and RC3:

DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

Thanks Tony! The serration design improvement is pretty apparent when you see them side-by-side like that. They seem to be a much tougher design, no little teeth, etc. I'll be getting my hands on some rope, hopefully, and doing a little comparison between the two. That'll be after Christmas, though - because the RC3 is still wrapped up as my present from my wife... I made sure to get that photo-op before I let her take it away from me, though!

AWESOME pics, thanks :D

one thing you can clearly see in the pics is the handle fitment is better. both my ontario made RAT's had less than perfect fitment. glad RAT Cutlery can finally take care of these minute issues that mean SO much to the end user in terms of perceived quality.

Back