"OOK!, tang hot!

LOl. them I must be doing something right!!! Pick up blade, drop again because its hot. Pick up again and try to throw into the water bucket before you feel how hot it really is.

Whirlybirds..know all bout them. Hint, find what direction the drill press is turning, set the edge of the blade against the backstop of the drill press...not more whirlybirds! blade has no place to go :)

How do u think i got the it burns, it burns sig line?? yup, set my workbench on fire a few times.:eek: flames and all :) And i have set wood handle material on fire before, too :)

Lmao Guy!!!
It's amazing how many times we do dumb things till it finally sinks in. Hope you have a good supply of Neosporin on hand! Ouch, no pun intended, lol! :)

Glad to see I am not the only one to do things like this.I have finally learned after 10 years not to grab a blade while forging,But I still grab hot tangs when grinding or soldering:D Boy you get some funny marks from threaded rods when you braze them on and don't let them cool long enough before picking up.I just hope this is the worst Boo-Boo I get for a long time (knock on wood)as I can deal with little burns and cuts allot better than something drastic..
Hope the hand feels better.
Bruce

ahhh don't worry.. First burn I had form a blade stock removal was when I was filing it :D

At one point I was filing so furious with a good 15 inch file, that when I stopped to check the steel, it turned blue-ish purple on me.
Anyone ever noticed how odd the stains are from vaporised drops of sweat ??

Greetz and take care, Bart.

I hate to laugh Guy but I've done it so many times it seems natural. I don't have a lot of feeling in my hands so I generally realize it when I start smelling my hide burning!:eek:

It's amazing how many times we do dumb things till it finally sinks in
When does it start to sink in Michael?:D

I dont know about you guys, but I still havent figured out that you cannot hold a blade and drill holes in the tang. Can anybody say "Twirlybird" on the fingers?

No matter how many times I've done it before it invariably happens again. Last night I was tapering the tang of a knife on my grinder and dipping in water to cool it. Sure thing, I eventually failed to dip and it happened to be when I was going to wipe the blade off and inspect the grind. I turned to grab a rag so I transfered knife to my other hand, TANG first, and promptly dropped it in the bucket. I now have an interesting burn on my index finger where a couple of pin holes were in the tang! Ook ook, pass me a banana!

Knifemaking seems to be about pain. :) At least for me. I try to use light pressure and newer belts when possible but I usually find myself dunking into the water bucket after nearly every pass.

Wait a minute! You mean we're NOT supposed to burn our hands while grinding blades?? Owww!! Crap!

I work at my computer and in a lab these days so I have very delicate hands that I intensily dislike burning. That is why I always check the temperature of the steel with the tip of my tongue.:eek:

Lynn

Edited with my sincere apology to anyone I offended. I will not repeat my bad behavior. Again sorry.

First law of the shop:
Steel at 300 degrees is identical to steel at room temperature :D

Until you pick it up, I mean :D

Files can also get steel pretty hot, and if one expects it from the grinder, one usually thinks a file is pretty safe in the thermic department :D
It isn't :D

Yup! I too got blue purple hues on a filed piece of steel!
WOW! We can temper steel with a file!
Next step is annealing! :D :D :D

:D I feel your pain! I do the same thing when grinding the bevels all the time.

What's that burning smell? Someone cooking? Yea-OWWWWWWW! Bout this time blade and hand get a dunk in the water bucket.

I have this habit of tapping the ground portion of the knife on the skin inside of my left forearm, right after I dunk it in water. I do so to see how warm it is and usually dunk again, then back to the grinder and repeat. Since they are quick taps and I just quenched the steel, it works as a great way to judge temp before going back to grinding. To do wrong... you are off in la la land and forget to quench and sort of just mindlessly lay the knife on skin. I have a scar now and that hurt like a b%$@&. Even at the forge I haven't burned myself that bad. Must go find wood... damnit, its all fake! Ah, oak. Anyway, oh wait, there was that time I picked up some steel I just laid down. Tongs, bah. I cursed a great deal though. Thank god I was at least wearing gloves. Sooooo... anybody else wanna chime in to out do me in stupid?

-Jason

I think every blade I have made has burtn me at least once.
I even made some leather pads for my thumbs, but you cant
"feel" the blade. Every time I try to make a full pass on the bevel
I just have to ride it out. Then drop the blade in the bucket
and do a little end zone dance.

Paul

i find that this is one of the best reasons to be working on more than just one blade..
otherwise i tend to be so impatient that i end up burning myself in some way shape or form.

soldering ... didnt cool enough before my patients ran out.
grinding... trying to get the grind right more than think of the heat
forging ... "im sure i could move the steel if im quick enough with my hands"

where does it end?
:D

mind you the worse part is that i have olive skin..
and so when i keep burning myself i get these white coloured scars all over ..
and those lil tiny bits of charcoal that come screaming out of the forge when you poke at it can really cover your arms in a pretty pattern.
... i wonder want i would end up with if i connected all these white dots up with a pen?
:)
:rolleyes:

D.

Back