Oops...I didn't think this was possible!

hookahhabib

Gold Member
So on Saturday, I found myself needing to blow off some steam while gathered with the family for Easter. It just so happened that I had my Horton necker in A2 on me that day. As I wandered around my parent's back yard, I noticed some old sheet metal looking at me the wrong way and then this happened:

imag1063.jpg

imag1064m.jpg

imag1066t.jpg

It was fun showing that old metal who was boss and I thought the little Necker was doing fine.

I was wrong:

imag1070.jpg

imag1072f.jpg

Despite the damage, I still regard the experience as positive and did successfully blow off the steam, but today I'm feeling like a fool and pretty bummed that so much of the edge chipped out. I expected some rolling and dulling although I didn't think the relatively thin sheet metal would take such a big chunk out of the edge. I know attacking sheet metal is outside of "normal" knife use, yet I am still a bit surprised...do you guys think I'm a fool to have expected a different out come?

The point of this thread though is this: What would you guys recommend as far as repairing this? Try it myself or just send to Jeremy?

Jeremy will you even deal with something like this since I was outside normal knife use when I damaged the blade?

I still got nothing but love for your knives Jeremy :thumbup:

I know I had a lot to do with this damage...

You can send it to J, if you don't wanna mess with it. Or use the old sandpaper and mouse pad.

Did the same to one of mine, only it didn't damage it. Well, I don't consider scratches damage. :)

DSCI0102.jpg

DSCI0103.jpg

Cool. It's serrated now. :p
I've done the same with a few knives. Not with sheet metal. I sometimes like to try throwing knives into trees. They sometimes bounce off and land edge first onto a large granite rock nearby. I would just leave it as is. It will sharpen out over time. It won't carve the same, but it will handle cutting task just fine. It has character now.

Work it out yourself - it will be good practice in case it happens again

Man those edges on those knives are made for one thing. Cutting soft tissue or wood,, I'm not surprised at all. I'm not gonna scold you its your knife. But don't expect zero edges to not chip out when you are doing something like that,, especially going side to.side ,,metal,, really,, lol. If you send it to me I will fix it. But don't make the same mistake twice.

Last edited:
Do I think your a fool no sir,, but yes. Metal is bad for very thin edge "KNIVES" we all do jackass stuff sometimes.
When I want to show metal who's boss. I just whip out these
2012-04-10_17-11-06_240.jpg

I have the same problem except mine was because it fell on the ground and chipped. It was easy to get most of it out but there is a tiny chip left after sharpening it. I am going to try to fix it myself. Good to know the spa is still open though. As long as you are alive I think was the saying.

The harder you make this stuff the longer the edge lasts. But more prone to chipping. And the sharper and thinner you make edge geometry the more prone to damage it is. And to have knives with these properties you have to be realistic on what you do with them,, and learn to maintain them. But, I'm always available to do it. Or help you with locating the correct materials to do so,, That's just facts.

My A2 Necker fell on the ceramic tiles on the back of it's handle. The knife came out unscratched, from the tile about 5 mm triangular piece chipped out.

Thanks Jeremy! I appreciate your insights and I'll definitely be looking into a nice set of metal shears for future impulses ;)

Having gone past the limits of this sexy little chunk of A2 once, I have no intentions of doing it again. Although I will say, I am glad to now REALLY know some of this knife's limits first hand since I do carry it almost every day (and the other days I'm carrying my Toxic EDC).

Just out of curiosity, what RC do you usually harden your A2 neckers to?

I know what I was doing is on the abusive side of the spectrum and you've gone above and beyond in offering to repair it for me Jeremy- for that I Thank you sir! :thumbup: I'll contact you in the next couple of days and figure out whether to try doing it myself or just send it to you this ONE time (I promise!). While I'm comfortable making an edge sharp again and working out small imperfections, I haven't had to repair anything this big yet.

Oh and Carto, you're right...I am grateful to have escaped this incident with both eyes intact!

Some I do in house and some I send out. They are at least 59rc. Its really just the twisting side to side that got it. With that true flat side. Its easy to.get into a bind. The knife will do almost anything. If you cut with it correctly. But was not what was on your mind at the time. Lol. No worries. That will take me a few min to fix.

You could have as easily torn up your hands or slipped down the blade. That sort of thing is best done with gloved hands and eye protection......

Back